Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The end of the Tirpitz

Article about: Battleship Tirpitz 12/11/1944..

Default The end of the Tirpitz

Battleship Tirpitz

12/11/1944..

?

Lebus interesting thread I have just finished reading the Tirpitz now that was a very good read.. Cheers Terry.

?

Good link, thank you for posting and remembering the event.

?

Nice link.I got a few Objects that was picked up from the Tirpitz wreck in the 1960s
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

?

Loads of remains and stuff was found...and shoveled out of there AFAIK

Thanks for posting this! I've always had an interest in this ship due to my grandfather having been ordered out in order to help camouflage the ship while anchored in Fættenfjorden (I'm guessing early 1942)... 70th "anniversary" next year I see.
    I actually took a trip there last year or so and took a lot of photos of the place where it anchored up etc. It took some really MASSIVE slabs of concrete to keep this ship in place, that's for sure! Maybe I should post them here?

A beautiful and terrifying ship but we got here in the end !

Nice link

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I've always had an interest in this ship due to my grandfather having been ordered out in order to help camouflage the ship while anchored in Fættenfjorden (I'm guessing early 1942)... 70th "anniversary" next year I see.
    I actually took a trip there last year or so and took a lot of photos of the place where it anchored up etc. It took some really MASSIVE slabs of concrete to keep this ship in place, that's for sure! Maybe I should post them here?
    Yes, a thread within this forum would be a good idea

?

Dambusters got her in the end although not many of the originals were left when the Tirpitz was sunk !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I posted this yesterday, but considering the chap flew on all 3 raids to sink the Tirpitz, it deserves being posted here as well.

Squadron Leader Tony Iveson - Telegraph
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast