Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The end of the Tirpitz

Article about: Battleship Tirpitz 12/11/1944..

A fine ship , it was just as well it never got out to do any damage!! Leon.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Dambusters got her in the end although not many of the originals were left when the Tirpitz was sunk !!
    Yes Paul, 617 squadron and a payload of 29 'Tallboys' - she never stood a chance. Only two of them actually hit but that was enough ......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Yes Paul, 617 squadron and a payload of 29 'Tallboys' - she never stood a chance. Only two of them actually hit but that was enough ......
    You're forgetting 9 Squadron Dan, they weren't exactly dropping cough drops you know.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    You're forgetting 9 Squadron Dan, they weren't exactly dropping cough drops you know.....
    Oops, my bad Ned -apologies to number 9, I forgot about the rivalry between them and the 617 "juniors"
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

A great read, rather confidential it came up, was just doing some research on the ship the other day. Would there be a manifest in existence listing the serial numbers of the aircraft on board, or even the guns?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    A great read, rather confidential it came up, was just doing some research on the ship the other day. Would there be a manifest in existence listing the serial numbers of the aircraft on board, or even the guns?
    According to info in my possesion the armament and aircraft were the same as her sister ship Bismark being 8 x 15 inch guns, 12 x 5.9 inch guns, 16 x 4 inch AA guns, 16 x 37mm AA guns, 58 x 20mm AA guns, 8 x 21 torpedo tubes and six aircraft. The Werke Nummers of the aircraft are not available in my records, but may be elsewhere.

EDIT: The aircraft were all Arado AR196A-3's and there is evidence of 7 such aircraft that were used by Tirpitz at various times throughout her life. The codes of these being BB+YF, T3+BL, T3+DL, T3+GK, T3+HK, T3+LH and T3+LK.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yesterday it was 69 years since the sinking of the battleship "Tirpitz"!

Quote by Polar Küste View Post
    Yesterday it was 69 years since the sinking of the battleship "Tirpitz"!
    No sh!t Sherlock....Welcome to the forum.

?

Do I detect the slightest hint of sarcasm

Quote by big ned View Post
    No sh!t Sherlock....Welcome to the forum.

The end of the Tirpitz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast