Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The end of the Tirpitz

Article about: Battleship Tirpitz 12/11/1944..

?

Thats recycling for you.
    Supposedly in another part of the world the steel of the Graf Spee was put to good use as well.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Creative use of Tirpitz steel armor plate in the city of Oslo, anno 2013

Attachment 597469
    Not doubting you but how do you thats from the Tirpitz???

It's a well known fact about the history about the armorplates. But then again to find some info on english about it....! Some info here:
    The Tirpitz - A Ship Under Siege - World Naval Ships Forums

Quote by Polar Küste View Post
    It's a well known fact about the history about the armorplates. But then again to find some info on english about it....! Some info here:
    The Tirpitz - A Ship Under Siege - World Naval Ships Forums
    I know that, i have heard the history of the armorplates, i was just asking about that exact armor plate.
    I am sure that Norway has thousands and thousands of steel plates that are used in construction, is there any confirmation that that one comes from the Tirpitz?

Cheers
    Nuno

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    I know that, i have heard the history of the armorplates, i was just asking about that exact armor plate.
    I am sure that Norway has thousands and thousands of steel plates that are used in construction, is there any confirmation that that one comes from the Tirpitz?

Cheers
    Nuno
    Quote from recent article in a major norwegian paper (google translate):

"After the war, Høvding Skipsopphuggeri bought the wreck of Tripitz for 120.000 norwegian kr off of the Norwegian government. And with a weight of more than 40,000 tons , there was a lot of steel to be salvaged .

- They spent about ten years , only to chop it up, and there still is a lot of remains left up by Håkøya outside of Tromsø. For resistance fighter Høvding , this was a gold mine.

- Is amazed

Oslo bought several discs , called " Tirpitz discs " among professionals .

70 years after the sabotage the steel still retains its usefulness .

- At the time these plates were purchased it was the Water and wastewater agency that bought the most . Oslo Road Administration bought some as well, says Alise Davidsen , communications director of the Environment Department .

The plates probably comes from the inner armor shell to " Tirpitz " by the Scots to torpedo room , telling Audunson Skaar .

- The plates are particularly strong because they are both tough and hard . Therefore , the municipality used and used these .

The steel plate in use weighs five tons and is five centimeters thick.

- It's pretty special that we have such an item in our everyday lives as we walk and run on . I'm a little baffled . It shows the difference in taking care of war memories by the losing vs. winning party in a war."

That's about it from me, they know that this is one of the ones purchased from the company that chopped up the Tirpitz back then --- nothing more to it afaik.

?

An ignominious end for the ship.

Not that I dont understand, why the Allies wanted her sunk. Im purely speaking from a nautical POV here.

Today it is 70 years since the sinking of the battleship "Tirpitz"!
    Rest in peace all sailors who died 70 years ago
    NRK TV - Tirpitz - Det siste slaget

sure they will be remembered.

Håkøya, Tromsoo 12.11.2014
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The end of the Tirpitz  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4