Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Europe Driving Trip Battlfields / Auschwitz etc

Article about: Thanks for the suggestions, still working on this. I'll post up my iteineray when I've done it . Any more suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Europe Driving Trip Battlfields / Auschwitz etc

Thanks for the suggestions, still working on this. I'll post up my iteineray when I've done it . Any more suggestions welcome.

OK, you can use the Google Search to find cities and museums.
    Cheers
    Michel

A bit of a delay, but leaving Friday.

Sagan is on the list and I'm putting together the itinery. Anyone know of the 'Tunnels' recently discovered in Poland? Can you get in them ?

?

There's some distance between Geneva and Auschwitz, that will be a full days drive without stopping off anywhere.

I suggest you plan a route from Geneva to Southern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic to Auschwitz, back through the middle of Germany, Belgium and Northern France.

Bear in mind, a route that long won't leave you much time to see a lot so be fluid in your plans.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    There's some distance between Geneva and Auschwitz, that will be a full days drive without stopping off anywhere.

I suggest you plan a route from Geneva to Southern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic to Auschwitz, back through the middle of Germany, Belgium and Northern France.

Bear in mind, a route that long won't leave you much time to see a lot so be fluid in your plans.

Yes that's what I plan to do. It's 871 miles Morges, Suisse to Auschwitz and I'm sorting a few stop offs in between. Another user in this thread posted this link which is helpful. euro-t-guide - World War II Museums, Battlefields & Sights - Europe - European Tourist Guide

Looking at Prague as a possible stop off. This is more time consuming & difficult than I anticipated

?

There are two military themed museums in Morges. It's a few years since I visited them but I think you should take a look while you're there!

Also, Vevey, just along the shore of the lake was home to Charlie Chaplin and his grave can be found in Corsier Cemetery.

One thing I learned about road trips is to always allow more time than you think you need. Traffic hold ups, weather, diversions, over optimism will all conspire to screw up even the best laid travel itinerary.

There are two military themed museums in Morges. It's a few years since I visited them but I think you should take a look while you're there!

Also, Vevey, just along the shore of the lake was home to Charlie Chaplin and his grave can be found in Corsier Cemetery.

One thing I learned about road trips is to always allow more time than you think you need. Traffic hold ups, weather, diversions, over optimism will all conspire to screw up even the best laid travel itinerary.

I spotted those in Morges and will make a beeline for visiting them. I'm sending all the places of interest via Google maps to my car, that way I can pinpoint what I am closest to as it;s difficult to get an idea just by looking at a map. Last trip I did was ten years ago and I'm a bit rusty. Dead right though traffic jams and problems are bound to arise. I'm saving two days travelling by going Hull to Zeebrugge as Dover is 5 hours from me.

?

Don't forget you will need to pay for and display a Vignette to drive on the Swiss autoroutes. They're not that expensive but a lot cheaper than the fine you'll get for not having one.

If you're travelling along the shores of Lake Geneva you might want to visit Le Château de Chillon if you want a bit of history. Lord Byron was imprisoned there and carved his name in one of the stone pillars of the dungeon. It's funny, my abiding memory of the Château was that it was hoofing down with rain and there was a guy out in the courtyard hosing it down........

Don't forget you will need to pay for and display a Vignette to drive on the Swiss autoroutes. They're not that expensive but a lot cheaper than the fine you'll get for not having one.

If you're travelling along the shores of Lake Geneva you might want to visit Le Château de Chillon if you want a bit of history. Lord Byron was imprisoned there and carved his name in one of the stone pillars of the dungeon. It's funny, my abiding memory of the Château was that it was hoofing down with rain and there was a guy out in the courtyard hosing it down........

Good point re the Vignette and thanks for reminding me. I'll stick that in the Nav also - Le Château de Chillon . I take it the chap must have ben power washing, or just hosing in the rain ?!

If you will be in Poland, Wolfsschanze is well worth a visit... Plus that region has lots of bunker systems. There is a small hotel on site also with a restaurant...here is a link...Wolf's Lair | Wolfsschanze | Wilczy Szaniec

We stayed in a small town called Ketrzyn but next go around, will stay on site. Watch what the guides will try to sell you however if you use them, as one tried to sell me a " fork" which he said was from this site but said "made in Korea" on the back... Was amusing to point that out to him... And above all... Use caution here.... Tons of concrete literally are swinging from old rebar and lots of open pits, but it is a fascinating place to explore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2