Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

An eventful day

Article about: Earlier this week, my good lady and I went to one of the graveyards in the northern suburbs of Prague, to see the final resting place for among others, the Heydrich assassins and Karl Herman

?

Default An eventful day

Earlier this week, my good lady and I went to one of the graveyards in the northern suburbs of Prague, to see the final resting place for among others, the Heydrich assassins and Karl Hermann Frank.

The day had begun quite well, I'd just picked up one or two items from a local dealer then we went off to see the cemetery, before heading home via our favourite sandwich shop. The sandwiches had to wait however, as on our way there a lady driving her car in front of us pulled a rather strange maneuver whilst attempting to park which diverted us into the path of an oncoming tram. Heading downhill at speed it was unable to stop in time and collided with us down the (driver's) left hand side of our vehicle. Fortunately, we were unharmed 'cept for a few shredded nerves! The car however, has since been retired. After visiting the graveyard, an experience such as this one was not what we were hoping for, nonetheless, we are well and that is the main thing.

Earlier in the day, I took the images shown below.

Following his execution in the courtyard of Pankrác Prison in Prague, Karl Frank's body was buried in an unmarked grave along with others from the regime. Near this area lie the remains of the team of British trained Czechoslovakian parachutists who assassinated Reinhard Heydrich - the commemorative marker shown below remembers these heroes. Another image shows the memorial to the victims of communism, and a further picture shows the grave of a former prisoner at Theresienstadt, who died in 1945.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An eventful day   An eventful day  

An eventful day   An eventful day  

An eventful day   An eventful day  

Last edited by CARL; 11-16-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Default Re: An eventful day

Carl

The 7 parachutists should have received hero sized grave markers for their heroic acts.

Green

And I'm glad you and your lady are O.K.!!
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 03-16-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added text
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Firstly, glad you and the missus are ok Carl! Secondly, great photos mate, and I agree with Green, the parachutists deserve the very best of memorials, they stopped a monster.

Hi Carl, I would agree with my forum friends sentiments. Glad you are both OK.

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great pics. Why has no one improved those parachutists graves ?

Glad you are both safe mate

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thank you for the kind comments gents, I appreciate it and shall pass on your regards to my good lady.

Regarding the parachutists...

There is a large memorial that was erected on the site of the assassination, see image below. It was built on the corner where the parachutists waited to ambush Heydrich on his way to the centre. Although the road system has been changed, the site remains similar. The other memorial shown below is located on the outside of the church - the location that the SS stormed, resulting in the firefight with the parachutists, before attempting to flood out their targets, the parachutists who eventually turned their weapons on themselves. Bullet holes are still visible around the edges of the commemorative stone. This city is full of memorials, and if one wanted to forget the events of the Nazi occupation, then one would probably have to leave the country as there are reminders seemingly on every corner. Just two doors from our house for example, is a plaque commemorating a victim of f.KL-Ravensbrück. Around the corner, several markers remember those who fell during the bloody mess that was the final days of the Prague occupation.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An eventful day   An eventful day  

An eventful day  
    Last edited by CARL; 09-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Amazing photos Carl.
    Thank you for posting.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

I went to see the crypt and the museum too when in the Prague. Very impressive.
    Also went by the place, where they intercepted Heydrich in the semi-botched attempt on his life. If he hadnt ordered the car stopped and fired back with his personal firearm, he most likely would have gotten away.

I wondered about the grave of Frank, but it made sense when you mentioned, that it was unmarked.

Not a nice person for sure.

Tragically even worse than Heydrich. No carrot and whip anymore - just the whip.
    But then the goal was achieved with widespread dissatisfaction.

Glad to hear you are both OK! Thanks for the photos. I imagine that is a very somber location.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Tragically even worse than Heydrich. No carrot and whip anymore - just the whip.
    Indeed, very well put Scout.

p.s. I agree, the crypt museum is very well presented.