Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'

Article about: I could not find signs of any type of heavy conflict here; no shell craters or pockmarks in the concrete that were the usual around sites of the other forts I had explored in the past. My re

Default Re: Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'

Hi Richie, I found these pics really interesting, so thanks for showing them.

I had always imagined that Balaklava was a much bigger harbour than that.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Yes Ben, there a strong point in the WW2, I think this was a coastal artillery bunkers. But Richie can tell you more. I think the battery is ww1 1912-1920's year builded as the other.
    Here is another battery nr 19 which was used till the 21 century
    and now you can look here 19 battery
    another interesting source russos: Батарея–19
    The battery of Captain Drapushko ("Kentavr-1"German name) with 152 mm coastal guns. The war time nickname- "Mamasha, which means Mom" Practically rebuilded and added a lot of new buildings post war, but inside part, under the earth is still untouched. Unfortunately all metal cut by metal hunters...
    This is also interesting source
    History
    In russian but nice pictures

The guns fro the battery was sold by army to metal reciclyng only for 4000 Griven- about 8000 USD
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by regiment739 View Post
    I dont know much about the eastern front battles, was there actual fighting there? They must have needed Arty/mortar fire to attack a place like that.
    I could not find any signs of a softening up with artillery or aerial bombs. I would think that during the 1942 siege, as well as the 1944 recapture, this place was one of little strategic importance, judging by the lack of heavy gun emplacements.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Yes Ben, there a strong point in the WW2, I think this was a coastal artillery bunkers. But Richie can tell you more. I think the battery is ww1 1912-1920's year builded as the other.
    Here is another battery nr 19 which was used till the 21 century
    and now you can look here 19 battery
    another interesting source russos: Батарея–19
    The battery of Captain Drapushko ("Kentavr-1"German name) with 152 mm coastal guns. The war time nickname- "Mamasha, which means Mom" Practically rebuilded and added a lot of new buildings post war, but inside part, under the earth is still untouched. Unfortunately all metal cut by metal hunters...
    This is also interesting source
    History
    In russian but nice pictures

The guns fro the battery was sold by army to metal reciclyng only for 4000 Griven- about 8000 USD
    Good links Dimas, thank you. The place shown in them is not far from the one in which we are discussing. That very day we tried to get up there, but it was raining heavily and all the roads were a total quagmire. Our poor little Lada just could not perform the task. We thought about taking a hike, but again, it was pretty rainy, AND cold. I will be in Sevastopol again this autumn, so we'll certainly try again...

In any case, again, as Sevastopol was one of the most heavily fortified cities in the world at the time, there are many heavy emplacements and bunkers that saw quite a large amount of hellish bombardment, a few from the 800MM DORA Railway gun. I visited quite a few. I will show them later, as time permits.

CFvonSchalburg
    ?

Hi! thanks for the great pics and info from the east.

Quote by RichieC View Post
    I have a German radio-transferred image of this place somewhere, but because of my usual disorder, I can not find it to scan and post it to add even further interest to theme I have created.

Shame on me.... Perhaps later when I am not searching for it, it will be found... I will be sure to add it here...

Indubitably- Was not looking for it, so it simply appeared right in front of me today whilst tending to my perpetual misorder...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'   Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

If I didn't know any better, I'd say the "sentry" in the foreground was wearing a Dutch (Romanian) helmet...

Great stuff , Awesome to have the radio message in your collection , neat piece, cheers Raymond

mattc
    ?

Hello Richie,

I just got back from Balaclava. I could see the bunkers emplacments down around the water area. I never made it high up on the hill tops. Awesome place. I will post my recent pictures on the forum.

Take Care,
    MATT

?

Excellent location for defending the harbor. too bad you did'nt make it over to the hills on ether side of the harbor entrance, looks like some more structures on them in the distance.

neil

?

Great stuff , many thanks for posting these photos,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast