Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'

Article about: I could not find signs of any type of heavy conflict here; no shell craters or pockmarks in the concrete that were the usual around sites of the other forts I had explored in the past. My re

Default Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'

I could not find signs of any type of heavy conflict here; no shell craters or pockmarks in the concrete that were the usual around sites of the other forts I had explored in the past.

My research told that this fort originally was begun to be built during Czarist times. Construction was continued during the 1920s, and by the time of the siege of Sevastopol, was a medical complex. It's use was extended after the war as a communications center to outside assist the intricate submarine base hidden in the mountain which overlooked strategic Balaclava harbor below.

It was "COOL", and cold down there. Damp and wet also, with the musty smell of the years permeating my nose...

Walking through that labyrinth was chilling, after stepping on the slabs of cement that used to be the ceiling that seemed to fall at their own choice...

In any case, a COOL place!

I have a German radio-transferred image of this place somewhere, but because of my usual disorder, I can not find it to scan and post it to add even further interest to theme I have created.

Shame on me.... Perhaps later when I am not searching for it, it will be found... I will be sure to add it here...

Default Re: Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'

I suppose that other actions followed the German occupation and the recapture of Crimea:

ETERNAL MEMORY TO THE HEROES OF THE 227TH RIFLE DIVISION - TEMRUYKSKAYA - HAVING BEEN AWARDED THE ORDER OF THE RED BANNER

THEY WERE KILLED IN THE BATTLES FOR THE DELIVERANCE OF BALAKLAVA DURING APRIL-MAY 1944
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  
    Last edited by RichieC; 05-25-2008 at 01:11 AM.

.................................................. .............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'   Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

.................................................. ....................................
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'   Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'   Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

.................................................. ...................

.................................................. .........................

First two images are of Balaklava harbor - with the submarine base residing in the mountain behind it. One of the entrances is clearly visible.

I had access, and visited it soonafter, as it is now a recently created Ukrainian State museum...

---------------------------------------------------------------

It was a Cold War - Nuclear Attack-proof installation with great steel and lead doors so thick that it boggled my mind how they were hung by mere men...

---------------------------------------------------------------

I will post images from my experience there in the time to follow.

.................................................. ........................

Fort 'NORTH BALAKLAVA'  

?

Very nice !!!! thanks for sharing the pics

I dont know much about the eastern front battles, was there actual fighting there? They must have needed Arty/mortar fire to attack a place like that.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast