Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German War Graves

Article about: On a recent visit to my local cemetery I came across the graves of several German serviceman who died during WW2. I assume they are airman and one, a communal grave, possibly a bomber crew.

mjw
    ?

Default German War Graves

On a recent visit to my local cemetery I came across the graves of several German serviceman who died during WW2. I assume they are airman and one, a communal grave, possibly a bomber crew. They are buried amongst fighting men from several countries including Poland Australia, New Zealand and the British Isles etc. All the graves are immaculate and well tended. I have posted pictures for members interest. If, by chance, any family members read this post and would like a better picture, I am more than happy to go back with my camera – probably next summer when the flowers are out, and re-take them. Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German War Graves   German War Graves  

German War Graves   German War Graves  

German War Graves   German War Graves  

Where is this?

mjw
    ?

Earlham Cemetery, Norwich.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Where is this?
    My thoughts as well !

I am surprised they were not repatriated

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Why is that so surprising? More than 2.5 million dead German soldiers from both world wars rest in foreign soil.

Interesting that two have post 45 death dates, died from wounds in hospital I assume, though of illness in a pow camp is also possible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The four crew in the single grave were killed when their Dornier struck a balloon cable during a sustained night bombing attack during the Baedeker raids on significantly historic cities.

Norwich's citizens were also prone to machine gunning attacks on the city by hit and run raiders throughout the war, I wonder if this gravestone in the same cemetery was an example of 'collateral damage' during those dark days?

German War Graves

There's also a mass grave of over 100 victims of the at least 235 citizens of Norwich killed in the raids of 27th - 28th and 29th - 30th of April in the same cemetery, buried in May 1942.

German War Graves

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I went to High School on the Army Base of Fort Knox, Kentucky...There are about 30 German and 2 Italian Soldiers resting in the cemetery there, former POWs who died while in captivity...The Bundeswehr Liason Officer takes part in the annual wreath-laying ceremony while a US Army Soldier plays "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden" on the Bugle...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German War Graves  

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I believe it is German policy that their serviceman are buried in a central region within the country they died. Therefore over 90% of those who died on or over British soil in both world wars were disinterred from the scattered areas where they were originally buried and laid to rest at Cannock Chase Soldatenfriedhof not far from me.

German War Graves

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast