MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German War Graves

Article about: On a recent visit to my local cemetery I came across the graves of several German serviceman who died during WW2. I assume they are airman and one, a communal grave, possibly a bomber crew.

nice thread,there are still some original graves dotted about the country.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Why is that so surprising? More than 2.5 million dead German soldiers from both world wars rest in foreign soil.
    I am no expert on this subject at all sorry. With being so few, I thought they may have been. I know for a fact there were lots of German war grave's in Jersey, and they were moved to a cemetery in France I believe. That would tie up with Big Ned's comment perhaps

There are also quite a number of dead British soldiers from both world wars resting in foreign soil, including my great uncle and a couple of other relatives

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I went to High School on the Army Base of Fort Knox, Kentucky...There are about 30 German and 2 Italian Soldiers resting in the cemetery there, former POWs who died while in captivity...The Bundeswehr Liason Officer takes part in the annual wreath-laying ceremony while a US Army Soldier plays "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden" on the Bugle...
    cheers, Glenn
    One time, purely by chance, I saw a wreath laying under the central cross by a group of German visitors at Cannock Chase. On their leaving I took a closer look, the wreath of red and yellow flowers was dedicated to aircrew of the famous KG 100, that was quite a surprise....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Totally fascinating thread, dark days indeed... Thx for the stories from everyone and posting the photos.

?

If they have been buried in local Churchyards / cemeteries then they are not moved later as they lie in consecrated ground , that is the same for British casualties as well !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    If they have been buried in local Churchyards / cemeteries then they are not moved later as they lie in consecrated ground , that is the same for British casualties as well !!
    I read somewhere it was over concerns back in the 60's that some of the graves may not have been kept up and maintained in the many various cemeteries in which they lay, so the Soldatenfriedhof opened a new plot to ensure this was the case as part of the German Government's policy to remove all graves situated in cemeteries or war graves plots not maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Those that are still extant in local cemeteries have all been fastidiously looked after by the Commission and so remain.

On the other hand it's sad to see that many British dead in family graves have been forgotten over the years and lie overgrown and often damaged graves. This has been the case of many Battle of Britain pilots and aircrew who lie in abandoned corners of cemeteries in graves hidden by brush, grass and weeds since their remaining kin died out. But there are now increasingly more and more being renovated and cared for by people who have an interest in the history of the Battle and it's participants, or others who do it out of sheer respect having learned of the sacrifice these young men made.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2