Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gestapo HQ Prague

Article about: Hello Carl, I see where are these buidings.I' ll try to see them this year. After the Army museum, of coursee.

Default Re: Gestapo hq, prague

Hello Carl, I see where are these buidings.I' ll try to see them this year. After the Army museum, of coursee.

?

Default Re: Gestapo HQ Prague

Following a recent clean, the structure now looks more as it did back in the day, due to the welcome removal of decades of filth...

These images were taken earlier in the week.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gestapo HQ Prague   Gestapo HQ Prague  

Gestapo HQ Prague   Gestapo HQ Prague  

Gestapo HQ Prague   Gestapo HQ Prague  

Default Re: Gestapo hq, prague

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    The law faculty of Charles University was utilised as an SS Headquarters during the war too, and a hospital at Vyšehrad, on the banks of the Vltava, received many of the wounded from the campaign on the Eastern front.
    Hi Carl,

I used to live just beside Vysehrad many years ago, but I've never seen anything that looked like an old hospital, what building(s) were used or was it dug in to the hillside (Budapest style)?

Im curious because apparently a family member of mine + several other danish ss-men spend Lazaret time in Prague during the war.

rgds
    Mads

?

Mads,

The facility at Vyšehrad is today the Prague Institute for Mother and Child. The building was built into the ramparts, i.e. the defensive walls of the castle, and used prior to WWII as a sanatorium. Following the occupation, the Germans turned the complex into a hospital for the SS, primarily returning injured from the Ostfront. During the Prague uprising at the very end of the war, explosions damaged the structure, although it was still utilised immediately after the war to house and care for many concentration camp inmates suffering from tuberculosis. I don't own the image shown below.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gestapo HQ Prague  

Great stuff Carl, thanks for posting these great pics. The more I see of these magnificent buildings the more I would like to visit this historic city, maybe one day we will catch up for that beer in your adopted city of Prague.

?

Sounds good to me Dave!

?

Carl, thank you for posting these pictures. I love Prague, such a beautiful city, full of history. On a related note, I posess a Warrant Disc from the Prague Gestapo.

?

Quote by joe n View Post
    Carl, thank you for posting these pictures. I love Prague, such a beautiful city, full of history. On a related note, I posess a Warrant Disc from the Prague Gestapo.
    You are welcome Joe, glad that you enjoy the images. I agree, Prague is indeed a beautiful city, with history at every turn. Regarding your Warrant Disc, would you care to share it with us? Genuine examples are scarce (as I am sure you know), and its always a pleasure to see original pieces.

Regards,

Carl

?

Hi Carl, I would be happy to share with you. Sorry for the poor pics, I need to take better quality pictures one day. Thanks for looking!
    Joe

?

Detail shot of a Gestapo ink stamp marking, on a document from Prague...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gestapo HQ Prague  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast