Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Gettysburg Pa.

Article about: Here are three pics I could find quickly. They are from the top of Little Round Top in the Union position, adjacent to the Signal Corps post. They are looking West towards the Confederate (S

Default Re: Gettysburg Pa.

When I was looking out over Little Round Top it was just so amazing to think that I am standing where good men from both sides were fought and died, and just looking out trying to think what the battle looked like. Truly awe inspiring.

Yep A damn shame. Wasn"t worth that horrible loss of life. Did not know what they were getting into at the time. Like you said people still hold grudges. Heard Vicksburg would not celebrate 4th of july for years. Ken Burns documentary on the war was the best yet.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gettysburg Pa.   Gettysburg Pa.  

Gettysburg Pa.   Gettysburg Pa.  

Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    My invitation is open to you, too, Paul! If you make it, let me know. We'll have a brew or two.

- - Updated - -

Thanks mate
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

2 pics done by the creek at night with "orbs". Done earlier this year. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gettysburg Pa.   Gettysburg Pa.  

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Glad so many interested in this thread. I read a book called This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust a few years back. I will list this in my upcoming suggested reads. Mentions after the 3 day battle many of the towns people burried the dead but did a terrible job. Foraging livestock like pigs would often dig up remains to consume and the smell around the town was terrible. Until the end of September people would would use scarves or bandanas covered with peppermint oil around their faces to block out the smell of decomposing corpses. must have been terrible. many times we forget about after battle effects.

?

Civil wars are the worst kind,neighbor kills neighbor,and who really wins in the end,you are all really the same nation.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3