Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940

Article about: October 8 1940. A JU88, attacked industrial targets connected to aircraft production in the Liverpool area. Taking off from Caen, France, the JU88 made it's way to Liverpool, arriving about

Quote by CARL View Post
    312 Squadron was Czech, the JU-88 brought down over Merseyside was their first victory. Nicely presented, thank you.

Carl
    I appreciate the story, but I do ponder why the BBC did not spend some time and effort trying to track down the pilots of the Hurricanes that shot the JU down, it was not on a sight seeing trip, but Hey Ho, that't the BBC for you, nothing changes !

Cheers

?

To augment...

1) The Badge of 312 Sqdrn "Non Multi Sed Multa" ("Not Many But Much")

2) Members of 312

3) Pilot Josef StehlĂ­k with trophy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940   It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

?

There are more memorials and commemorative markers dedicated to the Czechs who served in the RAF during WWII, this modern addition near Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) is arguably one of the finest though...

"The Winged Lion"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940   It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

Cheers Carl, I seem to remember that the Czech Pilots had "died" when the Radio Program was made, I might be wrong?

No offence meant if I am.

?

Quote by Panzerheld View Post
    Cheers Carl, I seem to remember that the Czech Pilots had "died" when the Radio Program was made, I might be wrong?

Honestly don't know...can find out for you though if you fail to come up with any further information in your research...

Also, was this the bomber from which the wheel displayed a few years ago in Liverpool Museum came..? Seem to remember it was found in the muddy embankment somewhere over that side...

Quote by Panzerheld View Post

Panzerheld,
    I just find this story a little odd. I have just recently returned from Valletta, Malta, even in the 90's I struggle to comprehend that they would welcome back a Luftwaffe bomber pilot with open arms as they did on the Wirral in 1991 ! haha perhaps its just me

Cheers

Yesterdays enemies are today's friends..

Last year I missed out on a JU 88 roof panel, the one that holds the Dinghy.

Only to find out later it was from this actual crash

Was very expensive though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Happened Here - Liverpool 1940  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2