Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

HMS Belfast, London.

Article about: This morning I took the train into London to see the HMS Belfast. What an amazing day. Am going to upload photos throughout the evening, not a whole lot of info and comments, just photos, so

Default Re: HMS Belfast, London.

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    Im sure he did enjoy the hug, but he did not talk much.
    That's a nice picture of you. These wax figures are a hoot. In the U.S. Park Service, the method of interpretation was to make a kind of faceless, ghost figure in such historical settings, but I like the UK approach much better. Living history with the eccentricities of humanity in military and naval service. Thanks for the tour d'horizon.

A few from the galley. The first thing I noticed was the damp heat and the lovely smell of brownies and mash.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

More.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

HMS Belfast, London.  
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Not a dentist I would want to go to... but the faces of both dentist and the poor sailor are amazing down to every little detail.

A good attention to detail was in certain areas, the smells of the different areas were pumped into the air. The dentist area smelt of clove oil, the hospital area of sterilizing solutions, the galley of cooking food, the gun turrets of cordite, and of course the engine rooms were warm and moist and smelt slightly oily. Just the way it should be

Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Then there is smell o vision. You need an app to put it here, you see, you could make a killing. The figures are a total hoot.
    But they do not have the pleasant aroma of male sweat and foetidness of life at sea, especially in the storm of combat.
    Thank you for the fine expose of these scenes.

Next up are the punishment cells. An unfortunate photo angle...... I wonder what the punishment actually was......?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS Belfast, London.  
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Such would not be a navy without punishment, of course. I am sure our members here have an expertise in this aspect of things. Perhaps it was deprivation of fish and chips?

These are some great photos Christine,,the attention to detail on the figures are amazing. Its great that these ships have been preserved and made into a walking museum for others to see and learn about the past. Unfortunately sometimes even some of the greater ships and vehicles have been reduced to razor blades or sent out to be sunk as an artificial reef. Thanks for sharing these photos. Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 02-03-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The sick bay with the sound of Glenn Miller's Dont Sit Under The Apple Tree coming from the speakers next to the beds....

Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

The USA has its population of ex battleships. The USS Olympia, however, is in danger of collapse, I read.
    I grew up with cruisers and aircraft carriers and associate with such persons who operate them.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast