Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

HMS Belfast, London.

Article about: This morning I took the train into London to see the HMS Belfast. What an amazing day. Am going to upload photos throughout the evening, not a whole lot of info and comments, just photos, so

Default Re: HMS Belfast, London.

The old gal HMS Belfast will usually need a touch up every 8 years. She will then be towed to Portsmouth by one tugboat. She is fully able to sail by her own steam, but it would be too costly in money, insurance and fuel hence why she is towed.
    Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Superb photos Chris, thanks for sharing.

Quick question...

In post no.13, second picture down, did I see Ben Affleck fresh from shooting "Pearl Harbor"...?

More.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

[COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

That cat's well behaved....It hasn't moved a muscle since I saw it 4 years ago!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    John

?

Thanks for the photos need to get my butt down there again someday..Last time I visited must have been in the 70s!!!!..She was still being built lol.... Thanks again Terry.

Good morning

More shots. An Enigma machine which I believe came from the Scharnhorst. Also a silk ribbon which was attached to the specific champagne bottle used by Mrs. Chamberlain at the launching if HMS Belfast.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HMS Belfast, London.   HMS Belfast, London.  

HMS Belfast, London.  
    Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

When HMS Belfast struck a mine, and had to stay in dry docks for 2,5 years, in 39 her crew was tranferred to the HMS Hood. Almost the entire crew went down when she was destroyed. The Belfast was a happy and lucky ship to her crew.
    Not really important information, but the HMS Hood was three times the length and twice the width of the HMS Belfast. And I do not think she is small at all.
    Last edited by Little Mermaid; 02-04-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

More.

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

mpw
    ?

Lovely photos, thanks for posting. I showed my old dad who served on the Ark Royal as a chief shipwright (chief petty officer) and the workshop took him straight back to his youth. He still has all his old tools and sea chest in the shed. The ships cat was a very important member of the crew as pest controller. When the Ark Royal was torpedoed and sunk in 1941 even the ships cat was called to muster and rescued, no doubt using up one his nine lives!

Mark.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast