Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How long to cleanup?

Article about: Budapest is probably one of the most battered cities ive ever been to ,,not only 1944-45 but 1956 ,i was 14 years old when i last went there and there are very few buildings that dont have b

Default Re: How long to cleanup?

Great photo, Robin...a typical example of the damage that remains today, thanks for sharing!
    cheers, Glenn

Here's the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin. It was ruined by bombs, and is now preserved as a surviving example of destruction.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How long to cleanup?  

That's where the Stalingrad Festungs-Madonna Drawing is displayed, by the way....
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How long to cleanup?  

How about Dresden , i guess there is many buildings there who still stands as ruins just to show the horrors of the bombings?
    I do know that the rebuildt the frauenkirche ,really great scene about that in the end of the movie "Dresden"

In the end of this part

This is the facade of what was the National Picture Theatre on Beverley Road in Hull. It is believed to be the last remaining ruin of a civilian building from the Blitz in Britain.

It was hit at about 10pm on March 17th 1941. Incredibly all 150 people inside survived when a parachute mine exploded at the other end of the cinema; they had been unable to leave when the air raid alert sounded, so sheltered in the strengthened lobby of the building.

The film they had been watching was Charlie Chaplin’s "The Great Dictator"!

After many years of dispute and difficulties raising funds, the site has been secured, and as of February this year the site is in the final stages of being given the go ahead for turning it into a visitor centre that recognises Kingston upon Hull's sacrifice during WW2 when it became the most consistantly bombed place in the U.K. with raids on the docks and city from 1940 through to 1945 that resulted in almost 95% of the local housing being damaged or destroyed and a total of 1,185 people being killed, a fifth of them children, over the course of the war.

How long to cleanup?How long to cleanup?

Front and rear views of the cinema taken in 2012.

How long to cleanup?

Another front view taken several years ago. The sign is misleading as the cinema stopped smoking within a week of the raid in 1941.....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Waow, that is some real history witness there, i love when the let it stand untouched, so full of history.
    Just like the village of Oradour sur Glane in France

Oradour-sur-Glane - Wikipédia

Oradour-sur-Glane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ian
    ?

ian
    ?

dont get me wrong here ,,i have spent many years in germany and i love the country and the peaple ,,but they realy make a meal of alied bombing ? ,,, im just trying to make the point ,,we suffered very bad bombing ,,BUT we dont make such a fuss about it ,,we try to forget ,,and most of germany (with our money)was rebuild FASTER than most british cities ,,as im sure you see ,,i feel strongly about this
    we should have cept many more bombed buildings as memorials ,, to all the civilians who died ,,and to show the rest of europe that we allso,suffered

in answer to the original question ,, the cleen up and rebuild of germany ,,was done with alied money ,and a lot faster than the rest of europe
    cheers ian

Quote by big ned View Post
    This is the facade of what was the National Picture Theatre on Beverley Road in Hull. It is believed to be the last remaining ruin of a civilian building from the Blitz in Britain.

It was hit at about 10pm on March 17th 1941. Incredibly all 150 people inside survived when a parachute mine exploded at the other end of the cinema; they had been unable to leave when the air raid alert sounded, so sheltered in the strengthened lobby of the building.

The film they had been watching was Charlie Chaplin’s "The Great Dictator"!

After many years of dispute and difficulties raising funds, the site has been secured, and as of February this year the site is in the final stages of being given the go ahead for turning it into a visitor centre that recognises Kingston upon Hull's sacrifice during WW2 when it became the most consistantly bombed place in the U.K. with raids on the docks and city from 1940 through to 1945 that resulted in almost 95% of the local housing being damaged or destroyed and a total of 1,185 people being killed, a fifth of them children, over the course of the war.

How long to cleanup?How long to cleanup?

Front and rear views of the cinema taken in 2012.

How long to cleanup?

Another front view taken several years ago. The sign is misleading as the cinema stopped smoking within a week of the raid in 1941.....

Regards, Ned.
    I remember reading about this building, I think they did a spread about it in Britain at War or something. There are also numerous places around British cities where damage from the Blitz is still evident. When we went to Bath, there were quite a few walls where you could still see gouges from shrapnel.

I dont think anyone see pass that happening,im just curious of the city when it has been told that it almost where bombed to the unrecognizable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast