Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Iconic Images of the Vietnam war

Article about: After making a thread on images of ww2 I thought I would create one about the Vietnam war as there are many interesting pictures that depict the harsh realities of the conflict. I hope you e

?

Default Iconic Images of the Vietnam war

After making a thread on images of ww2 I thought I would create one about the Vietnam war as there are many interesting pictures that depict the harsh realities of the conflict.

I hope you enjoy the thread and please add your own pictures if you have them

First: 13 Oct 1967, Con Thien, South Vietnam Cpl. Billy Winn

Second: 1966, U.S. Army helicopters providing support for U.S. ground troops fly into a staging area fifty miles northeast of Saigon

Third: 1966, Pfc. Lacey Skinner ,crawls through the mud of a rice paddy avoiding heavy Viet Cong fire near An Thi in South Vietnam, as troops of the U.S. 1st Cavalry Division fight a fierce 24-hour battle

Forth: 1966, the body of an American paratrooper killed in action in the jungle near the Cambodian border is raised up to an evacuation helicopter

Fifth: A marine helps his wounded comrade to cover, May 15, 1967 in the western sector of Leatherneck Square, south of the demilitarized zone in South Vietnam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

?

Default Re: Iconic Images of the Vietnam war

First: A North Vietnamese 122 mm shell explodes in a direct hit on a U.S. ammunition bunker of 175 mm cannon emplacements at Gio Linh, next to demilitarization zone between north and south Vietnam, Sept. 1967

Second: A South Vietnamese trooper dug in at Hai Van, South of Hue, Nov. 20, 1972

Third: A supply helicopter comes in for a landing on a hilltop forming part of Fire Support Base 29, west of Dak To in South Vietnam's central highlands on June 3, 1968

Forth: A U.S. Marine CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter comes down in flames after being hit by enemy ground fire during Operation Hastings

Fifth: A Viet Cong base camp is torched near My Tho, Vietnam on April 5th, 1968.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Images of the Vietnam war   Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Great photos!

?

First: A wounded U.S. paratrooper grimaces in pain while waiting for medical evacuation at base camp in the A Shau Valley near the Laos border in South Vietnam

Second: A Vietnamese litter bearer wears a face mask, Michelin rubber plantation, about 45 miles northeast of Saigon, Nov 27, 1965

Third: A Viet Cong prisoner awaits interrogation at the A-109 Special Forces Detachment in Thuong Duc, Vietnam, (25 km west of Da Nang), 23 January 1967

Forth: A young Marine private waits on the beach during the Marine landing, Da Nang, Vietnam, August 3, 1965

Fifth: An Air Force F-100D Super Sabre aircraft fires a salvo of 2.75-inch rockets against an enemy position in South Vietnam on January 1st, 1967

?

First: An M41 tank of the South Vietnamese Army advances on enemy positions in Saigon, Vietnam in May of 1960

Second: April 29, 1975, people try to scale the 14-foot wall of the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, trying to reach evacuation helicopters, as the last of the Americans depart from Vietnam

Third: April 29, 1975, U.S. Navy personnel aboard the USS Blue Ridge push a helicopter into the sea off the coast of Vietnam in order to make room for more evacuation flights from Saigon

Forth: April 30, 1975, a North Vietnamese tank rolls through the gate of the Presidential Palace in Saigon, signifying the fall of South Vietnam

Fifth: April 1969, a South Vietnamese woman mourns over the body of her husband, found with 47 others in a mass grave near Hue

?

First: D. R. Howe treats the wounds of Private First Class D. A. Crum, H Company, 2nd Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment, during Operation Hue City on February 6th, 1968

Second: First Sgt. Benjamin Reynolds and 1st Sgt. Robert M. Baker, both of Co. B, 3rd Bn., 12th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division, raise the American flag on Hill No. 927 on December 5th, 1967

Third: During Operation Bushmaster, a member of Company L, 75th Infantry, wearing camouflage makeup sits alone with his thoughts while waiting to participate in an assault mission against NVA in August of 1971

Forth: Entertainer Sammy Davis Jr. performs for members of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) in an undisclosed location in Vietnam during February of 1972

?

These two images are the ones that have stuck in my mind for many years and are iconic because they show the brutality of war the first image is a Vietcong insurgent executed in the streets of Saigon if I remember correctly.
    The second is a Buddhist monk that lights him self on fire in protest .

Regards Mark K

CBH
    ?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    These two images are the ones that have stuck in my mind for many years and are iconic because they show the brutality of war the first image is a Vietcong insurgent executed in the streets of Saigon if I remember correctly.
    The second is a Buddhist monk that lights him self on fire in protest .

Regards Mark K
    He was executed by the Saigon police chief , I believe . And this was a still taken from film taken by a US news crew . I believe it made the news back in the states , and didn't help the war cause . First time I saw it was in the doc " The Ten Thousand Day War " what I consider to be the best doc on the Vietnam War .

?

Thanks for sharing, the picture is of South Vietnamese General Nguyen Ngoc Loan chief of police executing suspected Viet Cong officer Nguyen Van Lem (also known as Bay Lop) on a Saigon street Feb. 1, 1968, early in the Tet Offensive.

?

June 11, 1963, Quang Duc, a Buddhist monk, burns himself to death on a Saigon street to protest alleged persecution of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Images of the Vietnam war  

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast