Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.

Article about: by Adrian I hadn't seen this thread before either, a good set of comparison photos, thanks for taking the time to share them. Blume, do know more about this particular prisoner? Unfortunatel

Default Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.

Most of you will probably recognise these very famous photographs because they are widely reproduced in many books supposedly taken during many diferent campaigns, Italy, the Ardennes, even Holland but they were actually taken during the US Operation Cobra in Normandy when the American forces finally broke out of their bridgehead. Robert Capa took them on the 28/07/44. They show SS prisoners who've just been captured. They are often attributed to the 17th SS Division but it's now believed that they were actually from the 2nd SS Das Reich most likely the Deutschland Regiment. There is also a paratrooper.
    The first photo has no attributable background to match but the same group were photographed again photo 2 from a slightly different angle, they're being searched by Lieutenant Paul Unger of the 2nd Armoured Division Military Police. In the background is the former boys school which it now the Marie or Mayors office of the village of Notre Dame De Cenilly. In my photo I tried to get the exact angle and size of picture to match.

Next photo's were taken at Pont Brocard, the first period picture shows the muzzel of Staff Sergeant James.J.Cermack B/41st 57mm anti tank gun. He was awarded the DSC for his actions in destroying the vehicles in the picture and fighting off a counter attack.
    Finally the last couple of pictures again taken in Pont Brocard but this time looking the other way show a US vehicle with 60 POW's on the back. Apparently to squeeze a few more in, the driver drove forward a little then slammed the brakes on, which helped to squash the human cargo forward just a little further.
    I hope you enjoy.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.   Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.  

Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.   Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.  

Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.   Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.  

Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.  

Default Re: Iconic Normandy photo's Robert Capa's Then and Now.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post these pics.

Awesome , always love those before and after pics cheers Raymond

Again another wonderfully researched thread. Thank you!

Cheers, Ade.

I too, enjoy the before then and now styled pictures. Well Done Luckystrike!

Regards,

Joel

OKW
    ?

Hi, its unusual to see a U.S soldier wearing camo jacket in Europe, they were worn early on in Normandy but discarded fairly rapidly because of blue on blue incidents. In the minds of most Allied soldiers camo clothing mean't SS or certainly German and those who got the fastest shot in lived to fight another day.

US camo two piece HBT uniforms were worn mainly by the US 41st Armored Infantry Battalion (US 2nd Armored Division). Some units of the US 2nd and 30th Inf Div's might also have worn this uniform albeit briefly.

Cheers, Ade.

Great time and effort. Well done! Thanks.

?

Why do you think that they aren't attribuites on 17 SS Panzergrenadier Gotz von Berlichingen, but on the 2nd Panzergrenadier Regiment 3 Deutschland of Das Reich division?
    The young SS Officier frinsking by M.P. Lt. Paul Unger is really Kurt Peters, III/Battalion Regiment 37 17 SS Panzergrenadier Gotz von Berlichingen, identify by Jean Claude Perrigault in his book?
    Do you have new information about this? I'm finding news about this proud man, but not is so easy!
    I can't belive that not is possible to know nothing about the fate of this man!!!

Best regards

Blume

?

Excellent.
    Very much in the spirit of the 'After the Battle' magazine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast