Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Imperial War Museum North

Article about: Hi all. As some of you may have seen on Vicky's thread I graduated from Salford University yesterday. The graduation venue was the Lowry theater at Salford Quays........ Right opposite IWM N

?

Default Re: Imperial War Museum North

Interesting photos.

What is nice is that almost every item on display there has a story to go with it, or at least who brought the item back from what conflict. Also, I like how even mundane items, that collectors would maybe even take for granted, are put on display and given context.

Not bad, a good job its free.......but nothing like its London counterpart, a big place, could be filled better.....I see they STILL have the Pickelhaube mounted the wrong way round despite me telling them about it 4 years ago !...the staff are not that knowledgeable...................could do better !
    Prost ! Steve.

Yeah, I thought that was odd. I was looking for battle damage on it or something to give it a reason for being that way around, but couldn't see anything.

The sad part was the girlie I reported it to, did not have a clue ! I know a few people with the degree in the subject you have, that during recruitment when it first opened did not get a job there.......you have to remember that it was opened in co-operation with the then lefty council, who it appears had an input re "equal opportunities" and all that rubbish goes with it etc etc............so it would appear that the staffing may of been politically motivated to an extent.
    Prost ! Steve.

Hmmm, equal opportunities is all well and good, but when your employing people who don't know the right way round a Pickelhaube goes, there is something wrong

This seems common in a few museums. I've lost count of the mis-identified items in museums that you kindly point out is wrong, then find years later it's still wrong.

A common error is SA daggers referred to as SS dagger or army dagger etc. etc. I've seen that in at least 3 museums up and down the country... The wife's getting fed up with me pointing it out every time...

Mmmm, looks interesting, I will pop over and have a look me thinks
    Ben

?

I went there a couple of years ago and to be honest was completely disappointed. Loads of arty farty space and very little in the way of exhibits compared to many other museums.

As Steve said, a good job it was free as I wouldn't pay to visit there. If you have visited the IWM in London and then go here you will be disappointed. Unless you go when they have a specific and dedicated exhibition it really isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Have to agree with Steve and Adrian above. IWM North was a great disappointment for me too, as their are a plethora or rotating shelves and modern gadgets, which have clearly taken up much of the budget. Sad that design featured higher than historical content. "Less is more" may work well in a living room, but not in a large museum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast