Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Iwo jima sand

Article about: These islands have volcanic sand on their beaches rather than the white sugar sand you see so often in tourist resorts. Volcanic sand is coarse and gritty and will sometimes even cut your sk

Default Re: Iwo jima sand

My wife bought me this a few years ago, I still think its pretty good. The money for it went to Legacy, a charity here in Australia for the families of soldiers who never returned home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iwo jima sand  

Sandgroper this is pretty cool looking,,, what size is it? Is it a wall plaque or smaller. Larry

Actually your right Dave, I might have been hasty. I have seen the sands of Gallipoli come up on eBay recently and had a punt myself. I woud buy that one, but not the iwo jima one, maybe because it's not official

Jason

Larry, it is not big, 55mm diameter but really well done, not cheap and nasty looking but quite stylish looking. It is more like a commemorative medalion or the like.

They do look good, Jase, but I agree mate, I wouldn't buy the Iwo Jima one either, that just looks like someone out to make a quick quid to me.

I can also get authentic corn from the famous Cornfield at Antietam Battlefield. It's authentic corn, just not authentic Civil War period corn.

Quote by big ned View Post
    For $25 I'll sell anyone here some Blackpool rock, and that's guaranteed the real deal, it says so all the way through it!
    Your Blackpool Rock is postwar, sorry.

?

I have a lot of the "sands of Gallipoli" stuff...they come out each year with coins, key rings and plaques...

My wife buys me the 6 or 8 coin wooden boxed set each year!

I don't think selling this sand is too crazy. It would be an interesting addition to an Iwo jima display in my opinion. However $25.00 is very steep, I would say $3.00 is more accurate. 1 dollar for the canister, 2 dollars for the sand. Maybe if the sand was from Mars I would pay $25

Corey

The biggest problem is provenence, how do you know you are getting what your paying for? Joe bloggs on eBay is not like buying from a recognized officially sanctioned source.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    The biggest problem is provenence, how do you know you are getting what your paying for? Joe bloggs on eBay is not like buying from a recognized officially sanctioned source.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... But isn't Iwo Jima a volcanic island and isn't the "sand" of the island more of an ash? I remember hearing stories of U.S. Marines trying to dig for cover, but the ash/sand wouldn't hold shape and would just collapse back into the spot of the intended foxhole.

This stuff just looks like regular sand to me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast