Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia

Article about: Hello Gents, I dont know where else to put this as this is the Japanese forum. While I am in Indonesia right now,, I managed to find some down time to edit some photos of a recent visit down

Default Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia

Hello Gents, I dont know where else to put this as this is the Japanese forum. While I am in Indonesia right now,, I managed to find some down time to edit some photos of a recent visit down the bottom of amountain side with the help of my nephew and a couple of local boys to guide us to some nature made tunnels leading to a Gun emplacement in the side of a mountain. I can not be sure that the concrete steps seen was added on later after the war or not,, but there is remnants of what looks like a mounting device still embedded in the floor of the cave facing towards the bay area. My Mother in law who through translation told me about the Japanese occupation of the many islands here in Indonesia and in her own Home town of Ambon. She did not go into great detail of their stay or any brutality... but she did say when the Atomic Bomb was detonated..all the occupying forces left the islands.
    I will visit the mountains of Batu tomorrow as there is a museum there with a Japanese tank out side the door way. This I have seen in 2008. I will see of my brother in law will stop for a photo. it looks to be a commonly see seen type 97 tank Chi Ha Medium.
    I did try my best to write in the sand " War relics forum " with my 3 fingers being a "W".
    The bunker inside has an interesting support beam with some type of wood hanging from the 4 corners.
    This gun emplacement can not be found by tourism but by locals only,, as it is not seen from the road way. The climb down was steep and un even steps. surrounded by trees. The steps IMO were added later. Below are some photos of this visit. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia   Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia  

Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia   Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia  

Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia   Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default Re: Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia

Well worth the walk down the hill love the view,I see the sand marks I like that.Glad you are having a great time enjoy my friend.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

What a great looking place Larry, i would love to spend time there , going all over just to see what i could find, there must be other hidden areas that only the locals know about, as with other Pacific Islands that were occupied , discoveries are still being made, Thanks for posting, looking forward to the other photos as there is'nt much that has been shown on the forum

I'm jealous Larry. I would love to see some of the fortifications left behind on the pacific Islands. Diving Truk Lagoon is also a goal of mine. I hear many of them are almost exactly as they were after the war ended.

Thanks
    Burt

These islands are a treasure trove for the metal detector type person. Totally untouched and still buried beneath the sands,, and inland also. I am quite sure there are some Samurai swords being used by the local farmers here to hack away in their fields of harvest. Only the locals over the years may of recovered what was on top or still leaning up against a wall in a cave,, but what is buried beneath...is still there. There is also an abandoned " restricted" airfield just a few hundred meters from the beach of Liang. My brother in law advised not to go in there as it is monitored,,,but IMO it is all over grown with trees and brush. This beach itself was an invasion point to push the Dutch occupying forces out of the area. This area is loaded with corral as it is not spoiled by tourism. For the Japanese collector the photos you take of a found area,, is a find in itself,,that National Geographic or Life Magazine has not found. It would be "YOUR" find.. Pictures are worth a Thousand words! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

great pics larry...........was there any ww2 era markings on that wood pillar or on the cave walls themselves? can't wait to see more. hope you are having a great time

Darren

Awesome pictures, Larry! Looks like you're having a great time. Can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing some of your vacation with us.

Luke

There also some tunnels leading to the cave which I will post later. Although I can not see any Markings on the post I will enlarge to a great degree a few photos of the support post. I am off to the Mountains today and will try to get that Japanese tank photo, that I saw the last time I was there. Larry

Thanks dude for sharing them bad assed pics. Be safe in Indonesia and tell us how it goes. How far can you see from those arty emplacements? From here it looks a long ways, so a guess would be grand!

Hi Octavian ,, you can see very far from within,, but ,, it is hidden if you are out in the middle of the bay area. A nasty surprise for sure. I went to The mountains of Batu yesterday,, in search of the Japanese tank i seen 4 years prior. The tank has been moved and its where abouts are unknown,, so that was a disappointment. But below are a few more photos of the tunnels leading into the cave area and one photo of Liang beach with a ferry in the back ground. This is a known landing point for the Japanese forces. This area is unspoiled by tourism and its whereabouts unknown except for the locals who guided us in. The beach is loaded with coral. The water a nice 80 degrees.
    @Syrinx....I have included a close up of the pillar but it does not seem to show any markings except some graffiti left by the locals..
    These are all the photos I have in regard to the WRF....Vacation photos will follow later on the discussion forum. Looking forward to a steak sandwich when I come home. Best Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia   Japanese Gun Emplacement photos,, Indonesia  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast