Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Katyn memorial in England

Article about: This memorial to Polish Officers shot by the NKVD is set in Staffordshire, England, not far from the big German military cemetery on Cannock Chase. Cheers, Ade.

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Katyn memorial in England

Yes ssringman please post it soon because all of us would love to see it

Ade those are spine chilling photos you posted,One of the documents is to Jozef Sidor, I have a Great Great Grandmother whos surname was Sidor she was married to my Great Grandfather who served in World War One and in the Polish Soviet war (Like all my Great Grandfathers) this couldnt of possibly been her brother or another relative!

OKW
    ?

You cannot separate out the 'history' from the politics they are one and the same. If some bits are ignored they then have the chance of being repeated. The Polish people because of their geographical location have always been between a rock and a hard place, but they still exist showing it is possible to triumph in adversity.

Quote by OKW View Post
    You cannot separate out the 'history' from the politics they are one and the same. If some bits are ignored they then have the chance of being repeated. The Polish people because of their geographical location have always been between a rock and a hard place, but they still exist showing it is possible to triumph in adversity.
    Well said. Certainly in the case of the Poles both the history and politics are inextricably intertwined. It just about impossible to avoid bringing up when discussing Katyn, which remains a very sensitive topic.

Now, back to the topic of this thread . . . photographs of the excavation / exhumation taken from the book (with a title not surprisingly having political overtones): “Katyń - zbrodnia i propaganda” (Crime and Propaganda).

1. Polish banknotes, badges, uniform epaulettes, and a collar tab
    2. A look into one of the glass display cases set up at the exhumation site
    3. Two decorations removed from teh body of Lt. Col. Andrzej Hatacinski (Order of Poland Restored on left, and Virtuti Militari)
    4. Dog tag belonging to Zbigniew Florkiewicz
    5. Engraved cigarette case belonging to Colonel Kazimierz Zelislawski
    6. Element of a cigarette cased made in the Kozielsk POW that belonged to General Smorawinski with the date March 24th 1940 inscribed. He was to be murdered within weeks of this date.

Regards,
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Katyn memorial in England   Katyn memorial in England  

Katyn memorial in England   Katyn memorial in England  

3mk
    ?

Just looking at those items sends a chill through my spine.

Here's the book's cover. The cover photo of the rogatywka cap and tunic that belonged to a murdered major in one of the "Jozef Pilsudski" regiments is particularly poignant. The photo is also reproduced in slightly better resolution within the book.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Katyn memorial in England   Katyn memorial in England  

3mk
    ?

Ill try picking one of those books up so people remember that the soviets werent a ```liberating army``.

Hi Guys, I thought that I would update this old thread.

I had heard of fund raising moves to rebuild the memorial some time ago and talking with a friend a few weeks ago at a show, I was lamenting the overall look of the memorial, and he mentioned it had now been revamped. So while attending my Grand-daughter's 8th Birthday party yesterday just down the road, I managed to nip out and take some new pics.

Sorry for the lousy quality, I was in a hurry and many are out of focus (Camera is 10 years old! We need a new one.) But it will give you the idea of how the memorial now looks with it's new marble finish. Note the new text which now tells of who perpetrated the crime.

Cheers, Ade.

Katyn memorial in England  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Are these numbers correct? 25,000?

... strictly speaking it wasn't Stalin that ordered the murders but Lavrentiy Beria. Beria initiated the order and proposed the March 1940 list of POWs and others for execution to be approved and counter signed by Stalin, Molotov, Mikoyan and Voroshilov who all signed the Beria document.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Who knows.....
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

nice looking memorial - place to visit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast