Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The La Gleize King Tiger

Article about: I've been enjoying the thread about the Vimoutiers Tiger I and - unless I've been using the 'search' function incorrectly - noticed that the Forum doesn't seem to have a thread dedicated to

Arrow The La Gleize King Tiger

I've been enjoying the thread about the Vimoutiers Tiger I and - unless I've been using the 'search' function incorrectly - noticed that the Forum doesn't seem to have a thread dedicated to the near-legendary King Tiger at La Gleize.

This wonderful machine just has to be one of the most-photographed WWII relics in Europe. The first time I visited it was in 1987 and I must have dozens of pics from every angle, so I thought I'd post just one here.

The La Gleize King Tiger

Taken on a trip to Ciney in 2013. According to legend IIRC, the local cafe owner 'bought' the tank from a US Army salvage crew in exchange for a bottle of cognac, which must make it one of the greatest militaria bargains of all time !

Sheer beauty

I believe this to be a wartime photo of her

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The La Gleize King Tiger  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Sheer beauty .I believe this to be a wartime photo of her, Nick
    That's where she sat when I first visited her in 1974 ! sat at the top of the hill near the church, where it had been left as in the above image.......opposite was the cellar of a guest house that was the original location of the museum.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 10-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.

A lot of love went into the restoration of this great vehicle. A pleasure to see this large hunk of History to running like a top.

@ rebus thanks for the link..was great to watch it run. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Fantastic Martin! ... and with a wholly more believable paint job on it than the poor old Vitmoutiers beastie.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Great pictures and video of a good looking tank

Arrow

A few more dug out from the photo album : -

The La Gleize King Tiger

The La Gleize King Tiger

The La Gleize King Tiger

And for some reason I like this one....I never got to have school outings like this..........

The La Gleize King Tiger

Hi all, what a great thread, just looked up where this is and found this..

Regards SK

.LA GLEIZE KING TIGER

Kampfgruppe Peiper, commanded by the veteran Jochen Peiper from 1st SS Panzer Division (LAH), crossed the border at the Losheim Gap at the start of Operation Autumn Mist on 16th December. His units captured a fuel depot near Honsfeld, and further along their line of advance at Malmady, some of his men took part in a massacre of US prisoners. As he reached Stavelot on 18th December, the Kampfgruppe met its first serious resistance. Peiper left some of his men to fight, while the main column diverted via the bridge at Trois Ponts. However, this had been blown and the Americans were resisting strongly here as well, so instead Peiper took the road to Coo and La Gleize.

La Gleize was reached, but efforts to push beyond it were thwarted. Peiper then found himself in defence of the village over the next few days, before the remnants of his Kampfgruppe sneaked through the American lines and escaped. In the process they leave behind 135 vehicles in and around the area. In La Gleize alone they abandoned:

47 half-tracks (SPW)
    7 Panzer IV
    12 Panther G
    1 Panther H
    6 Tiger II (King Tigers)
    6 Bisons (150mm Hows)
    3 Puma
    1 Flak half-track
    2 half track vehicles
    4 Russian 120mm mortars
    1 Flakpanzer IV
    1 Steyr truck
    1 Schwimmwagen
    1 Ketten-Krad
    1 BWM Motor Bike
    3 cars (Steyr 1500 A/01)
    1 75 mm cannon
    1 flak cannon
    1 US Jeep (captured and used by the Germans)
    1 Dodge (captured and used by the Germans)
    1 Dodge ambulance (captured and used by the Germans)
    1 truck (type unidentified)

The Tiger II on display outside the La Gleize Museum was one of the six left behind by Kampfgruppe Peiper. This 68 ton tank had a road speed of 35 kmh, and a range of 170 km. It was armed with a 88mm KwK 43, and was proteced by 150mm of armour at the front, and up to 185mm on the turret. As such there were few allied guns that could hope to knock it out, and most of those left behind in the Ardennes had either shed a track, broken down or run out of fuel. In La Gleize one of the captured Tiger IIs was used as target practice by US troops once the village had been retaken. They fired bazooka after bazooka round at it - none penetrated!

This one was restored some years ago, the main gun being damaged. It was repainted, but the original tank number, '213' was keep. Vehicle 213 was part of 501st Abteilung, commanded by Dollinger, and was abandoned in front of the town hall. It was moved to its present site in 1951.

Link to the Tiger II pages of Acthung Panzer! web site:

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II Ausf. B Konigstiger / King(Royal)Tiger / Tiger II Sd. Kfz. 182

©Paul Reed 2002-2006

A great thread indeed ..awesome photos..and SK your Bio data..is outstanding !! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast