Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lapland War battles

Article about: I think I have found something. Thanks to the people from Axis History Forum (especially Vaeltaja) I have found something on Google Maps that remind me of trenches. I was mentioned that Schu

Default Lapland War battles

I am doing research on the many battles of the Lapland War, as I am planning to visit the battlefields when I turn 18 and get my drivers licence. I have looked throughout the internet for about 4-5 hours now, and only found maps containing different plans of movement of the troops from the german and finnish forces, but no detailed information on the location of the battlefields.

So if anyone has any information on the battlefield locations, camps, routes, anything, I would like to know. I know one place just about 80km from my home where the germans kept a headquarter for a while near Rovaniemi, but the house and its surroundings are in private possession.

Thank you.

Default Re: Lapland War battles

Good plan.

But I can't give you any useful information. When I hitched through Lapland in 1957 there wasn't much evidence of the war.

I do want to encourage you with this project, however. The less there is published, the more important it is to do the research.

And the internet provides a good way of publishing your findings.

With luck, someone with access to German sources will get in touch with you.

I hope you'll keep us posted, and good luck.

Pat

Thanks, Patgore! I have found some mentions in texts about a trench line of some sort called "Schutzstellung Rovaniemi", only mentioned that it is located 50km from Rovaniemi, towards Ranua, nearby Palovaarantie. At least I have somewhere to start

And then compare that map with this I located in Google Maps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lapland War battles  

And that matches the description of the text, 50km from Rovaniemi towards Ranua, and Ranua is just below that part of the Google Map I posted.

Have you looked at Axis History Forum ? Check out Lapland War there.

I found a lot of material I didn't know. It looks like an excellent source. Good maps.

Pat

Thanks! I will look at the forum.

?

I was just wondering.
    If it is Lapland and you ask one of those gorgeous little Laplander blond gals to dance.
    Do you get Lapdance ??

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I was just wondering.
    If it is Lapland and you ask one of those gorgeous little Laplander blond gals to dance.
    Do you get Lapdance ??
    Well, you can come here next summer and try yourself, but I think you will have to settle with a normal dance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast