Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre

Article about: A place sadly often forgotten. Following the discovery of a radio transmitter in the village of Ležáky, the Gestapo had their proof to instigate another massacre in reprisal for the assassin

?

Default re: Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre

Further views of the memorial site.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre   Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre  

Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre  

?

Today, 24th June 2013, marks the 71st anniversary of the destruction of Ležáky.

What a sad anniversary.

I knew of this,but many don't,thanks Carl.
    Last edited by CARL; 06-23-2017 at 06:46 PM.

?

Thank you Harry.

Sadly, due to more heavy and persistent rain during the last few days, the memorial site is currently in danger of flooding. The image shown in the attachment below was taken earlier this morning - just one day after the anniversary...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ležáky, The Forgotten Massacre  
    Last edited by CARL; 06-23-2017 at 06:47 PM.

?

A Czech news feature posted earlier today, related to the anniversary later this week:

GALERIE: Na Le

And last week, it was the anniversary of the attack of Ste Cecile by SS.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Tomorrow, 24th June 2017, is the 75th anniversary of the detsruction of Ležáky and the massacre of almost all of its inhabitants.

Below is a link to the superbly presented website of the memorial foundation, with Czech, German and English language options:

Le

Various commemorative events are scheduled for Sunday, see website above for further details.

I didn't see this thread when it was started but this is indeed an important incident in the catalogue of atrocity that is the programme of the Nazi occupation.

For what it is worth this "Forgotten Massacre" is in my experience here in UK, nearly always included as part of the epilogue whenever the tale of Op Anthropoid and the subsequent events including those at Lidice is told.

I think to highlight the fact that the agents of Op Anthropoid were "Bitish trained" is something of a red herring because, although facilitated through British resources this was very much a Czech operation driven by the government in exile for the very sound (strategic not tactical) reasons given above.

As to whether it was worth the consequences one cannot ignore the potential for future events (perceived at the time at the justification stage of planning) if Anthropoid did not go ahead. The operational planners did not invent this scheme just to "pull the tail" of the bad guys!

To my mind the decision whether to kill Heydrich was the same type of dilemma albeit not the same scale as the decision whether to drop the atom bombs on Japan in which the potential number of deaths caused by using the bomb was weighed against the potential number (on both sides) if the home islands had to be invade by force.

Not an easy choice but of a kind often dictated in war from the small infantry unit level right up to governmental / national level as in this case.

I don't suppose any of this would be of comfort to those affected by such a massacre but in retrospect we should consider the risks of an operation such as Anthropoid not going ahead.

The Germans had a saying "HHHH" or "Hitlers Hirn Heisst Heydrich" (Hitlers brain is called Heydrich), just think about that for a minute.

This is a subject for debate such as we don't often get here in the midst of our basically acquisitive hobby and I for one wonder if we might have a small sub-forum set aside for such debate?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Appreciate your comment Mark...however, I believe the phrase was actually "Himmlers Hirn heißt Heydrich" i.e. "Himmler's brain..."..?

Anyway, I wish to point out that comments of an irrelevant nature such as the one posted earlier have no place on a thread of remembrance. Please think before posting on such a topic in future.

Thank you.

Carl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast