MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Mash Valley Ovillers

Article about: Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I am looking for photo's of the area around Ovillers and Mash Valley. My wife's great grandfather served with the 2nd Battalion M

Timpitt
    ?

Default Mash Valley Ovillers

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I am looking for photo's of the area around Ovillers and Mash Valley. My wife's great grandfather served with the 2nd Battalion Middlesex Reg and died during the first day of the Somme offensive. I my putting together a framed display with medals, unit insignais and would like to include some photo's of the area. I would also be keen to include a few recovered items so if anyone has anything that they have picked up from the area that they might consider selling please let me know.

Cheers Tim

?

Default Re: Mash Valley Ovillers

Tim this probably somehting it will be better to do yourself , the Somme is a great Battlefield to visit for a number of reasons , one is that is still so accessible and hasn't changed in the last 90 years , you can still walk the advance of your relatives advance on 1st July , getting there is very easy and still not that costly.

I know from my own visits that treading the ground yourself is a truly unique experience and you might even find your own momemto !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Tim,

If you go on google earth on the Somme area and use the street view alot of the area is mapped out to give you a good idea of the terrain. You can view alot of the areas including the road leading to the sunken lane.

Not sure if you can save any images as jpeg.

Dave

Timpitt
    ?

Hi Paul,

I would like nothing more than to have the opportunity to visit, but it won't happen for a while.

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the suggestion I will have a look at see what I can find.

Cheers Tim