Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Memorials to the Fallen 1870-71, 1914-18 and 1939-45

Article about: Hello Everyone. I have attached a few photo's of War memorials covering the German fallen in the wars of 1870-71, WW1 and WW2 that can be found in the small graveyard of the village of Gunde

Default Re: Memorials to the Fallen 1870-71, 1914-18 and 1939-45

this is a cool thread and it is very interesting would you mind explaining a little more about the 25 years grave policy in germany ?? i have never heard of it and i would love to know !!

Hi Relichunter, As I understand it and if I am a bit of target i hope some of our German members will correct me. Unlike in the UK where when interred you remain in your grave for eternity, in Germany the Family of the deceased leases the grave plot generally for 25 years, at the end of this period they have the opportunity to renew the lease however it appears to be common practice not to do so. In this case the remains are dis-interred the plot site cleared and then re-used for a fresh burial. I am however not sure what is then done with the old bones however if we are not enlightened by this evening I will ask the Frau.

best wishes

Robin

Hitler's parents just recently lost their headstones and their plot is now available for others to be interred in also, due to this policy of re-useage, if I remember right. As odd as the policy sounds, it's not like Mexico, where a plot has to be Rented. If, after so many years, the family no longer wishes or is around to pay the rent-out you go.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2