Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona

Article about: With the passing of Chester Nez Last of original group of Navajo Code Talkers dies | Fox News the last of the original 29 Navajo Code Talkers that helped to create the special code that was

?

Thumbs up Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona

With the passing of Chester Nez Last of original group of Navajo Code Talkers dies | Fox News the last of the original 29 Navajo Code Talkers that helped to create the special code that was used in the later part of World War II by the United States; I thought it would be nice to show the memorials to the Code Talkers here in my state of Arizona.

The memorials can be found in three places, one is located in front of the Capital building in Phoenix, AZ, one is located on Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix, and the final example is located in Window Rock, Arizona (which is the seat of government and capital of the Navajo Nation).

First up is the memorial located on Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona   Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona  

?

Thumbs up Memorials to the Code Talkers

This memorial is one of my favorites and is located in front of the Capital building in downtown Phoenix. I and my son (Liam age 11) are posing with it. Chester Nez's name is mentioned on one of these plaques.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona   Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona  

Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona   Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona  

Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona   Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona  

?

Thumbs up Memorial to Code Talkers

Finally, the memorial located at Window Rock is a larger memorial of the example shown in front of the Phoenix Capital. It is located near the famous Window Rock (made that way by the desert winds). BTW, this photo makes a great wallpaper.

It is nice to see the major contribution made by the Native people of our state and nation during the Second World War.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Memorials to the Navajo Code Talkers in Arizona  
    Last edited by Jody; 06-09-2014 at 05:32 AM.

?

Thumbs up Ira Hayes

Before I forget, another great Native American from Arizona was Ira Hayes (a Pima Indian) of the 5th US Marine Division whose picture is shown in the 2nd flag raising on top of Mount Suribachi during the heavy fighting on Iwo Jima.

?

It is wonderful that our Great State has honored these Gent's
    Thanks for sharing those pic's. I will have to make my rounds and check those out. I have already been to Arlington and seen Ira Hayes's grave site.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Jody, I appreciate you taking the time to post this as suggested earlier. The thread is very well presented and the commemorative markers are nicely photographed too - a fitting reminder to those who helped save many, many lives. Well done!

Regards,

Carl

Terrific photos and a really interesting story!

A great loss to not only our State, but the country as well.
    Even though I am not a native Arizonan, I am very proud of Arizona's contributions to the war effort.
    Another terrific thread
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Great thread Jody, thanks......... !
    Regards,

Steve.