Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

In memory of an unknown Polish veteran

Article about: Perhaps he was in commemoration, so perhaps you can find his name...

Default In memory of an unknown Polish veteran

I would like to share this photo of an unknown Polish veteran that I met on many occasions in the same Warsaw bar. Unfortunately I don't have any other information to share about him although I do have a photo of a document that he once showed me that I will post on this thread when I find it.

I seen him on several occasions over a period of 6 years until I was told that he had passed away.

On every occasion he was in uniform and enjoying himself and would always give a salute.

I hope that by posting a picture of him on such a site would keep his memory alive.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture In memory of an unknown Polish veteran  

A nice tribute to an unknown veteran. Who Knows what horrors he was remembering as he sat there having his drink?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice tribute to an unknown veteran. Who Knows what horrors he was remembering as he sat there having his drink?
    It would have been interesting to have known his story but due to the language barrier and the atmosphere of the bar I was unable to have a conversation.

Is Belfast diaries your own book? I have been learning about the British/Irish conflict over the last 6 years and have met a few republican ex political prisoners in Belfast and spoken to various people on both sides of the conflict.

He looks like he was a real character, RIP to him!.....
    Very thoughtful of you to post his photo!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    He looks like he was a real character, RIP to him!.....
    Very thoughtful of you to post his photo!...
    He was certainly a character, and thanks!

He seems to be wearing the "Krzyż Walecznych" or Cross of Valour on his right pocket....although I believe this should be worn on the left side. Pity the other badges on his jacket are not clear enough to determine what they are.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hi BullandHaynes,

It certainly is my book - based entirely on my diaries which I kept at the time. I am currently working on another book which is purely about my battery's tour in Andersonstown. I have over 20 of my former comrades who have contributed - along with a retired Brigadier. I tried to get former Provo's involved so that they could give their side of the story, but they didn't want to know. I have made the book as balanced as I possibly could. But the subject of Northern Ireland is very much still a festering wound to a lot of people. Former terrorists are given immunity from prosecution, but these same people are STILL trying to get former soldiers on trial. Unfortunately there is no justice, and that is all I am prepared to say on this website -its far too controversial to go any further. Even what I have said now may offend some, but no offence is meant.

Cheers,
    Steve.

?

Interesting character.

And yes, Ireland and the involvement there is indeed controversial.
    I know of a few blokes who went there. For better or worse, they still remember.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Hi BullandHaynes,

It certainly is my book - based entirely on my diaries which I kept at the time. I am currently working on another book which is purely about my battery's tour in Andersonstown. I have over 20 of my former comrades who have contributed - along with a retired Brigadier. I tried to get former Provo's involved so that they could give their side of the story, but they didn't want to know. I have made the book as balanced as I possibly could. But the subject of Northern Ireland is very much still a festering wound to a lot of people. Former terrorists are given immunity from prosecution, but these same people are STILL trying to get former soldiers on trial. Unfortunately there is no justice, and that is all I am prepared to say on this website -its far too controversial to go any further. Even what I have said now may offend some, but no offence is meant.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    Hi Steve,
    Official
    I will put it on my 'to read' list. I am currently working my way through 3 related books.

Terrorists on both sides have been given immunity from prosecution (PIRA/IRA/INLA and also UDA/UFF/UVF etc) so it's a difficult one. It's very controversial and difficult to chat about freely in fear of offending, however I would like to say that from my experience with speaking to former terrorists, soldiers and civilians, I have a very balanced view on the subject and can understand the views from many angles.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    He seems to be wearing the "Krzyż Walecznych" or Cross of Valour on his right pocket....although I believe this should be worn on the left side. Pity the other badges on his jacket are not clear enough to determine what they are.
    I have some other photos of him but am currently having difficulty retrieving them from an old computer. When and if I do so, I will add them to the thread. Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast