Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire

Article about: I visited Metheringham Airfield visitor centre which is south of Lincoln. Its a very small museum which holds the history mainly of 106 sqn R.A.F. Guy Gibson served in this sqn before the Da

Default Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire

I visited Metheringham Airfield visitor centre which is south of Lincoln. Its a very small museum which holds the history mainly of 106 sqn R.A.F. Guy Gibson served in this sqn before the Dambusters. Parts of his wheel hydraulic from his Mosquito which he piloted and died with, is housed here.
    Also Norman Cyril Jackson VC was with 106 sqn. His aircraft was hit by an enemy fighter and the engine caught fire. Jackson climbed out onto the wing and attempted to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher. Battling against 200mph winds he was hit in the leg and blown of by the wind as the Geman plane returned to attack his plane. He also suffered burns to his hands and face as well as a broken ankle after landing. He was captured by the Germans, escaping over a yaer later and making contact with the US army.
    Part of the museum (pictures shown) is of parts of a Lancaster returned after being found in Holland as well as a life raft and emergency equipment.
    Hope its of some interest.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire   Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire  

Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire   Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire  

Default Re: Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire

more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire   Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire  

More pics sorry having to do it in bits.

Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire   Metheringham Airfield visitor centre - Lincolnshire  

and......the last

Dave?

Very interesting and a 'nails' performance for Norman. Puts life in perspective!

Jock

What an interesting museum I'll definately visit when I'm in the area. Thanks for posting the pic's and giving an overview of the site.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Very Nice thanks for sharing

Studly

Yes very nice and interresting museum.

Dave

I have visited this little gem many times, I always stop there on my way back from East Kirkby

Nice photos

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I'm only about 4 miles away and yet I've never visited yet. I must make an effort somthing on my door step!