Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minimum Monument Birmingham England.

Article about: Hi guys, I thought you may like to see this wonderful "temporary" memorial for the fallen of WW1. It is the creation of Brazilian artist Nele Azevedo, the 5,000 small "ice men

Default Minimum Monument Birmingham England.

Hi guys, I thought you may like to see this wonderful "temporary" memorial for the fallen of WW1. It is the creation of Brazilian artist Nele Azevedo, the 5,000 small "ice men" were placed on the steps in Birmingham by the public, where they slowly melted away, a beautiful and heart rending memorial! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Minimum Monument Birmingham England.   Minimum Monument Birmingham England.  

Minimum Monument Birmingham England.   Minimum Monument Birmingham England.  

Very clever idea. I had not seen this, so thanks for posting.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Wow!!! Interesting concept!

Dean O

Somber and spectacular at the same time.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Wow what a beautiful tribute! It really hits the point home, thanks for sharing!

The poppies are available to buy, a fantastic earner for forces charities and a bloody good idea it is too!

QUOTE:

"From 5 August 2014 to 11 November 2014, a major artistic installation entitled 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' sees the Tower of London's famous dry moat filled with over 800,000 ceramic poppies to create a powerful visual commemoration for the First World War Centenary.

The ceramic poppies are available to buy for £25 each and the net proceeds, hoped to be in excess of £15 million if all poppies are sold, will be shared equally amongst a group of carefully selected Service charities including the Legion". END QUOTE.

It should be noted that the total going to charities is 10%, my only concern is I certainly hope that there isn't someone somewhere making a massive killing out of this, if you'll pardon the expression....

I've just ordered one anyway, details here for other members here who may wish to contribute:

https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/buy-a-poppy/

And the complete RBL website:

Poppies in the Moat - The Royal British Legion.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The poppies are available to buy, a fantastic earner for forces charities and a bloody good idea it is too!

QUOTE:

"From 5 August 2014 to 11 November 2014, a major artistic installation entitled 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' sees the Tower of London's famous dry moat filled with over 800,000 ceramic poppies to create a powerful visual commemoration for the First World War Centenary.

The ceramic poppies are available to buy for £25 each and the net proceeds, hoped to be in excess of £15 million if all poppies are sold, will be shared equally amongst a group of carefully selected Service charities including the Legion". END QUOTE.

It should be noted that the total going to charities is 10%, my only concern is I certainly hope that there isn't someone somewhere making a massive killing out of this, if you'll pardon the expression....

I've just ordered one anyway, details here for other members here who may wish to contribute:

https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/buy-a-poppy/

And the complete RBL website:

Poppies in the Moat - The Royal British Legion.

Regards, Ned.
    Yeah i wonder what's going to happen to the other 13.5 million?...

Re Ned's post: Lez and I ordered one the other night.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Re Ned's post: Lez and I ordered one the other night.
    The £5.95 postage they don't tell you about until it's ordered is a bit of a bummer, as well as the 'vague' explanation of when i'll eventually get my hot little hands on it.....

This is what they said:

Dear LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY, (Alias)

Thank you for buying a poppy from our installation Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red. The ceramic poppy you will receive is one of the 888,246 that have been hand-made and planted in the Tower moat this summer.

Your purchase will support the work of our six charity partners. The significance of the vital work that these charities provide is especially poignant as we mark the centenary of the First World War and remember all those who lived and fought during this time.
    Your order confirmation is below.

Your order number is: 17****

Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red will finish on 11 November. Please note that your order will not be despatched until the end of the installation. However, you can check its status by entering your email address and order number on our view order status page. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a specific despatch and delivery date for your order.

Billing Information:

CC Type: VISA
    CC Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX****

Shipping Information:

1 x Hand-made ceramic poppy £25
    Postage and package: £5.95

Total: £30.95

--------------------------------

Still, it's for a good cause, I hope at least some other U.K. members, or even those farther afield here also make the pledge, it's important and it's right.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Forgot to mention. I asked them if I could have the one that HRH Prince William had stuck in the ground, and they said "Sure Ned, no problemo...."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast