Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France

Article about: Hi Guys, this is a small museum ran by two French friends of mine. Located in the small town of Le Muy. Liens I have been to it several times over the years and here are a few pics I have ta

Default Re: Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France

thanks for posting this thread Ade, looks a fantastic museum...loved the pushbike with the ammo crate and the story that went with!

Hi Guys, some very sad news!

In the recent floods to hit the area on June 15th 2010 the museum was very badly damaged. It was submerged under 2.5m of flood water The lads are trying hard to recsue their collection built up over the past 30 years! Thankfully they are both safe as 19 local people lost their lives.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank goodness your friends are O.K. Those flash floods are killers. How terrible to work for thirty years to collect and it's destroyed in 30 seconds. I wish them luck on salvaging as much as they can. That collection was a beauty.

Jay

?

Very sad Ade but at least they are ok , hopefully they'll be able to salvage as much as possible.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Fantastic museum Adrian.I will visit it this summer.

Hi Guys, thanks, but like you say, at least the guys and their families were safe.

Longues, I doubt it will be reopened by then! Please see my last post from earlier this afternoon. The Museum was wrecked by flooding.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks adrian,what a shame!

Here are some pics of the sad sight!

If anyone wishes to give a donation to help with the restoration of the museum, you can donate here:

Mickael Soldi & Eric Renoux,
    Airborne Museum curators & founders
    Chez IRIS 83
    19 ROUTE BOURGADE
    83490 LE MUY- FRANCE

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

?

What an awful sight , all that hard work and collection covered in water and mud
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Guys, here is a bit of an update with some "before and after" pics. A cockpit lamp from the US CG4A "Waco" glider and a German field telephone. I think you will agree the lads have done a great job on these two items.

The other three pics show the museum, now cleared out, the Jeep and the tide mark showing how deep the flood water was!

Last weekend saw the 66th Anniversary of the Liberation. Hopefully I will have some more photos to share on the forum of this event over the coming weeks, including those showing two of my British Airborne Veteran friends being decorated with the Legion of Honour.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France   Musee de la Liberation Le Muy, South of France  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast