Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

my grandpas story

Article about: my grand pa was in the korean war.He was stationed in austria and his friend fell through the ice my grandpa saved him from drowning he was was supposed to be rewarded to get a medal and was

Default my grandpas story

my grand pa was in the korean war.He was stationed in austria and his friend fell through the ice my grandpa saved him from drowning
    he was was supposed to be rewarded to get a medal and was supposed to be ranked to a master sergeant i hes a sergeant now i dont know exactly what rank but would he have gotten the Soldier's Medal or something els is it too late to get the medal for him i want him to get it hes 80

ps his commander pretended sick for a long time and got discharged and ranked everyone else but not him

?

Default Re: my grandpas story

Quote by Hunt for the IronCross View Post
    my grand pa was in the korean war.He was stationed in austria and his friend fell through the ice my grandpa saved him from drowning
    he was was supposed to be rewarded to get a medal and was supposed to be ranked to a master sergeant i hes a sergeant now i dont know exactly what rank but would he have gotten the Soldier's Medal or something els is it too late to get the medal for him i want him to get it hes 80

ps his commander pretended sick for a long time and got discharged and ranked everyone else but not him
    Hi and welcome to the forums

I dont know what the "soldiers medal" is, I assume that its an American one.
    If the US awards system is anything like the British one one, unless the paperwork and recommendations where actually submitted at the time, then, Im sorry, but the short answer is NO, you cannot get it for him.
    The easiest way to find out what he is entitled to is to try and get hold of a copy of his service record and any awards, promotions etc should be recorded on it, (they are on British ones), you can then chase it with the relevant authorities from there.

Im sure that one or more of our American forum colleagues will be able to help you out more than I can.

Best of luck with your endeavours

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

In 1997, my grandfather, who fought in the canadian navy from 1939-45, recieved the Greek Medal for his valuable contributions in the Greek theatre during the second world war. This was 51 years after the war ended.

So my answer: its possible. but your grandfather was in the american army in the Korean war. so i really don't know what the possibilities are for that.

Hopw i helped!

Regards,
    Finn

he has letter from the man he saved saying things about how grateful he was and how he saved him. i also have seen a youtube vid of a man being awarded this award for the same reason, but hes an iraq vet.

I'm no expert, but make as many copies of the letter you have, then try to contact all of your state representatives as possible, also try & see if you can get all the info you have & contact the American Legion, VFW, veterans rep's , etc. it can't hurt, maybe you can get in touch with the right orginization who will make an effort, this stuff happens all the time, and I know this because my long battle with V.A. over my desert storm record's, well a lot of them have disappered, but I found out for 18 month's the V.A. was shredding everything they could, plus they had a huge fire a few years ago in Mo. and a lot of older records were burned up, I talked to a fellow vet from ww2 who was just now being awarded his disabilaty from then. I told him wow, they owe you a lot of back pay, but they were only going to give him backpay from 1999 until now. just my opinion, but he deserves it. good luck, I hope he finally gets his due.

best of luck
    Marty

?

If paperwork wasn't submitted at the time I am afraid that there is no way your Grandfather will be awarded any kind of lifesaving award.
    Sorry
    Steve

i am certain they do have some records of him doing the act

hey give it a try, the other day a ww2 vet got an award that he deserved back then, I saw it on the news , think it was a silver or bronze star, but he finally got it, about time.

my great uncles brother war the bronze star and the purple heart in korea but his wife took the bronze star but they still have the purple heart and if i got there discharge paper could i get him my great uncle his brothers star for him as a gift? my grand ma said after she gets back from her trip to new jersey we could try to find the living witnesses. ps i found out my grand pa saved the guy at military base in VA