MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

Article about: I thought the story had ended there, but two years ago I was contacted by the daughter of one of Sid's crewmates who died with him on that ill fated flight. Enclosed with the email was a sub

Default re: My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

I thought the story had ended there, but two years ago I was contacted by the daughter of one of Sid's crewmates who died with him on that ill fated flight.

Enclosed with the email was a suberb photo of my Great Uncle Sid and all the other members of the crew of Sunderland T9088. As you can imagine my Dad and I were really excited about getting this!

I had a really great telephone conversation with Rosalie, the lady I mentioned who contacted me. We spoke for over an hour. Rosalie lives in Australia.

This picture shows what we believe to be the crew of the Sunderland in which her Dad and my Great Uncle were lost. It was the last photo taken of her Dad.

Rosalie's Dad is F/O Eric N. McLEOD-NIBBS - 146475 and can be seen second from the right in the front row (the Officer without a tie).

My Great-Uncle Sid is on the back row, far left. It looks like he wears three jumpers!

There is some nice detail to the photo, like the unofficial name tapes worn on the BD blouse.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

The final part of my story about Sid finishes last year.

Sadly my Aunt died and she had kept this. The previous last letter home I showed was sent to my Grandma.

This one is dated a mere two days before Sid's death. I think it also shines some light upon the crash, which was put down to the pilot being tired, as Sid mentions how they were all very tried and putting in extra flights to catch up with their training. Sad to read how he was telling his parents that he would be home on leave soon...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force   My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

?

A very interesting but sad story,so many lost their lives at a young age.My uncle served in the Canadian army but he was lucky and made it home again.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Hi thanks for all your work on this Sunderland,
    I wish to correct a mistake close to me, My Grandfarther was one of the crew.
    Name: BAXTER, BASIL
    Initials: B
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Date of Death: 17/02/1944
    Service No: 982255
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 224.
    Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL
    Please if you have any more info on him or the rest of the crew my family and myself would be forever in debt.

Hi Bodace, many, many thanks for your post! I have corrected my typo.

Sadly I do not have any further info. Do you have any photos of your Grandad? Is he on the group photo of the crew?

I was really excited to read your post. I am going to ring my Dad now and tell him. He was very close to Sid.

Hi Phil, thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, Thanks for posting. This is a really great bit of family research and very poignant. I lost a great uncle flying over Germany, the family never found out what happened or if the crash site was even known. He was dropping leaflets!! Cheers, Grant

?

Hi again Guys and thanks for the quick replies,
    Yes I do have a few pics one is of Basil in an Avro Anson another is in Blacklpool i think with a RAF mate? Unfortunately at the moment I'm splashing around the North Sea in an exploration ship and not due onshore for about a week also i have a duff con out here.

My mother has tried to get info from the RAF but as she has an older brother who isn't interested in getting his service record so she is left out in the cold.

I will send her these forum details and when I get back i'll post the photos
    thanks again all

Hi Bodace, thanks for the update.

Hi Grant, if your Great Uncle was killed dropping leaflets, I would suspect it would be during the "Phoney War" era, circa 1939/1940? It might be worth you contacting the RAF for his service records and any loss reports on the aircraft.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

If he was Australian you can do some research here:

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/

I have gone through my files and realised that I did not post some satelite pics of the former site of RAF Alness. So I will post them now.

Cheers, Ade.

A good friend and forum member kindly researched these for me, so thanks Paul

Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

These screen shots show much of the site. Here is a basic overview.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

Photo A1 shows the former Hanger areas, the Slipway is visible at top, hangar outlines are visible in the trees and top right corner as grass marks.

Compare with the wartime photo shown in this thread.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast