Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

Article about: I thought the story had ended there, but two years ago I was contacted by the daughter of one of Sid's crewmates who died with him on that ill fated flight. Enclosed with the email was a sub

Default re: My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

Photo A2: Dalmore House.

Dalmore House was taken over for the Officers' Mess, with further buildings in the grounds. The rifle range backstop is visible top left.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

Photo A3: Training and Instructional Area.

Centre bottom is the gatehouse on the tree-lined driveway up to Dalmore House. The long rectangular building in the top centre is a 5-bay Link Trainer hut.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

Photo A4: Building bases.

Plenty of blast shelters visible dotted around this area.

Default Re: My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force

Another item I forgot to show was this limited edition cast metal model of a "Sunderland" flying boat which was made Dinky. It is now not available but a via search of model stores, I got one. But the neat thing about this model is that the marking of that of Sid's very unit, 4 (Coastal) OTU.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi again folks I managed to get intouch with my little sis who has the pics i was talking about so here they are..... i hope
    Turns out Basil was a good looking guy so what happened with me i have no idea.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force   My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

These are great! Thanks very much!

I have emailed Rosalie in Australia to take a look at this thread. I am sure she will be interested?

Looking at the group photo which I posted and shown here again (kindly supplied by Rosalie) I think Basil is the man seated at the far right of the pic? What do you think?

Cheers, Ade.

?

Im sat here with a few of the guys and they all agree they think in the pic of the ten Basil is front row Right hand man by the smile and the angle of his hat same as the posed pic of Basil on his own
    Last edited by Bodace; 11-27-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: i'm stupid forgot to turn the pic round

Great!

cheers, Ade.

?

Cheers Ade from all at home you are a good person. I will be reading it all again when I get home and I think my mum will be pleased too.

I have realised that I also forgot to scan and post the dreaded telegrams and letter from the C/O. So here they are. First off is the initial telegram where Sid is posted as "Missing".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force   My Great Uncle: Sgt Sid Thompson: Royal Air Force  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast