Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.

Article about: Hi Guys, last month Lez and I and several members from 2nd Guards did a road trip across to Germany to coincide with the 70th Anniversary of the US - Soviet link up at Torgau. We left Dover

Default My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.

Hi Guys, last month Lez and I and several members from 2nd Guards did a road trip across to Germany to coincide with the 70th Anniversary of the US - Soviet link up at Torgau.

We left Dover and embarked in Dunkirk. There we visited the museum to OP Dynamo. Sadly I have no pics from there as we have phone problems. But I will get some from our friends.

We then drove the long way out to where we were staying at at friend Bee's farm in Penig near Chemnitz (Formerly Karl Marx Stadt in DDR times). Took us 13 hours...

The scene of the White Cliffs and Dover Castle from the rear deck of the ferry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.   My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

great stuff ade what a shame no pics but fingers crossed your friends can help out as id love to view your time there

Having arrived in the early hours of Weds morning, we did not get up until late. So we visited an underground quarry cave system which was great but pics were prohibited

Thursday we set off to Colditz. I had been there before 3 years ago. But this time we took the extended tour which was excellent. The guide was superb and even took us around even though we had missed the last official tour time slot. Well worth doing this tour.

The best part was, we had booked in for the night! The former German guards quarters are now a Youth Hostel. 30 euros a night B&B I highly recommend it. We had a whale of a time. Our German hosts joked with us about us making ropes from our bed sheets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.   My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.  

My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.   My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.  

My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.   My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

We spent the whole of the day in the town and the castle. It just so happened that the town was celebrating it's 750th Anniversary. We met up with some other comrades from the UK and had a few beers. The weather was excellent.

Later we had a nice evening meal in one of the few bars in the town. Then back to the Castle and more beers and just sit and soak up the atmosphere.

My recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Wewelsburg, etc.  

Some superb pics can be seen here, taken by my friend Sigita. She takes some wonderful photos.

At the end of these, you will also see Rochlitz Castle, as we called in there on the way to Colditz. Turns out it was used by the NKVD! Checkout the Russian graffiti.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigita...7652380419832/

Hi James, Sigita has come to my aid and has got pics from day one in Dunkirk here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigita...7651911089499/

?

Was your guide at Colditz Johannes ? I'm back there in July guiding a Dambusters , Colditz , Great Escape Tour it's great to see that the Chapel has reopened at last !i
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Day two here. I forgot about our trip to the warehouse which sells old "junk". I bought a pack:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigita...7650039419553/

Hi Paul, our guide was a lady, Steffi Schubert.

Glad a got to crawl through the tunnel last time in the Chapel as it is now closed off under glass

Day 4: This was our work day. I was in charge of making the hand made bricks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigita...57650076164854

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast