Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

New Museum, Trafford Centre, A MUST SEE !

Article about: Gents, whilst shopping at the Trafford Centre here in the sunny NW of England, near to Manchester, I was advised by an employee to visit a new museum that had just opened next to the centre,

Default New Museum, Trafford Centre, A MUST SEE !

Gents, whilst shopping at the Trafford Centre here in the sunny NW of England, near to Manchester, I was advised by an employee to visit a new museum that had just opened next to the centre, in the old Argos warehouse on Barton-dock Rd, Trafford Park, he stated there was some old military vehicles on show and a collection of militaria.....so off I trotted !
    Advertised as the Museum of Museums, it shows a number of transport collections, cars, trucks, buses and a small collection of military vehicles, well 3 actually, but imagine my surprise, one of them is the A7V WW1 German tank replica (capable of running), there is Willys jeep and an Alvis amphibian truck...and a collection of British wartime uniforms, equipment and arms by a well known collector Gary Stern, who runs a militaria shop on the site as well. It is worth a visit, leave her indoors shopping, while you peruse the exhibits ! I have added a couple of shots, but I will post a thread on the Imperial German section detailing the Fab A7V exhibit.
    Here is the web site link, One museum, countless experiences - Museum of Museums at The Trafford Centre
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Museum, Trafford Centre, A MUST SEE !   New Museum, Trafford Centre, A MUST SEE !  

Default Re: New Museum, Trafford Centre, A MUST SEE !

Thanks for sharing this look quite intresting

I saw this museum a couple of months ago, and wondered what they might have... I must definitely visit now! Thanks for sharing the info and pics. When you say there's a 'militaria shop on the site', do you mean in the actual museum? And what did they have there?

Mat

Thanks for the post Oradour, i was just reading about the story of the jeep willys and how it was found in the scrapyard. Thank god it was saved.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Mat, it is in the museum, you can see the entrance between the jeep and the A7V, (on the photo above) you can just see some of the display cases, it is an exhibition of mainly British WW2 items, uniforms, equipment and weapons, the personel collection of a Gary Stern (he of Maisy Battery fame) these are in a covered display area...however he runs a shop within the display area.....not much German stuff, mainly Allied WW2 and post war stuff.....not my bag, so I cant comment on its authenticity....
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Steve, I'll be sure to check it out. I've never before encountered a museum that sells more than crappy souvenirs...

Mat