Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Norfolk Regiment Gravestone ..Any help please?

Article about: Hello Gents I was walking the mutts the other day with the Missus & I sometimes pop through the local graveyard as it is right next door to my house. I said to the Missus that looks like

Quote by Tango View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys very interesting & thanks for your time.. But it still doesn't explain why he ended up in this little one horse village the a corner of this graveyard.... I will dig around a bit more " excuse the pun" see what we can undercover. Otherwise I will tend to his grave... Cheers Terry.
    Good on you for that Tel. His parents appear to have lived around 9 miles away, so perhaps other family members are buried in the churchyard like grandparents or suchlike, you'd think there would be a family link to the location as it's quite near. Just a thought.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Many village graveyards around the UK have similar graves i live next to the local Churchyard and we have about ten . Quite a few are post war dates of Death up to 1920 , as i understand it they refer to those who subsequently died of wounds related to the war whilst receiving treatment in local Hospitals etc . As the hospitals were widely spread across the whole country it didn't follow that a bloke would be sent to one near to his home.

1920 i beleive was the cut off for those who were classisfied as war casualties , unlike the hundreds of thousands including my grandfather who died later from wounds suffered ( gas ) in the Great War and are not included in any casualty figures !!

?

Thanks guys.. & Ned I will have a look around.. I have been away for a couple of days. So back now!!.. I will keep you posted as to what I find out!!!. Cheers Terry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2