MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Normandie 2008

Article about: Thanksfor the pictures, they are perfect!

Default Re: Normandie 2008

Great pics !!,I was there last september and WOW what a place absolutly brilliant , i couldnt get enough of the history in that area loved it!, gotta go back !!

WOW ! very nice pic

Hi,
    great pics We were there last summer, covered the whole area, actualy
    got some of the same pics here, very moveing at times, it,s like W.W.2 without soldiers. thanks for showing them.
    dave.

?

I'm in Normandy every year with a party of 6th Airborne Div vets and visit most of these locations, it's got to be one of the best Battlefields to visit.

Unfortunately Phil Arlette is not held in such high esteem by many Airborne vets due to her conduct over the years , many Ox and Bucks vets won't go to the Cafe Gondree because of her treatment of John Howard a few year ago .

I have seen her indifference to the vets myself including my great friend John " Monty " Montgomery who was one of the first guys across Pegasus Bridge and into the Benouville Bridgehead with A Company 7 ( LI ) Bn Parachute Regiment .

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

They are nice photos, but over the years i feel that it has lost some of its impact, the bridge i remember traffic crossing it because it was still in use, and then when it was left out the back after the new one was built no body seemed to bother about it, it was kinda lost in transition,

The museum at Omaha used to be pretty good, and i also remember there was a good camp-site right on the beach.

Went to Trun many times, even found the scrap yard that was littered with opel blitz's and a Panther turret along with others,that was in 1985

The museum at Falaise, grotty from the outside, but some amazing stuff inside all gone now, swallowed by progression i fear. Still places to look at....... virtually untouched, if you know where to look

?

John,

Luckily the old museum at Falaise is still there and the original Pegasus Bridge is now in the Airborne Museum and is well looked after, following it's neglect !!

The new visitors centre at Omaha is very good and your right if you look hard enough you'll find vitually untouched places,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul
    wasn't aware that the museum at Falaise was still around, it's been years since i went there, and then it was under threat of closure. Glad that its still there

I know people talk about the "good old days" but sometimes they really were

ace
    ?

what a sight wow the big gun still in bunker looks like ready to fire scary to think that so many men where under so much fire power now they where men , think i would of curled up in a ball and cried my god need to go there now amazing

?

i was in normandie a couple of weeks ago, got some nice pics to, its very humbleing to go there, we visited the german cemetry at le cambe, over 21.000 graves, really made you think about what they went through, some of them were only a couple of years older than my son of 15
    He has his whole life ahead of him and they were taken at such a young age,

Hi,
    I bet you all picked one of these up.
    dave

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast