Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Normandy beaches visit...

Article about: Hello people! I need your help in an urgent matter! I have planned a trip to Normandy for next week in order to visit the invasion sites. Problem is that our budget is very limited and we ca

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thanks for the advices and help guys but I can't afford tours there due to our limited budget...

Then I would suggest you look into hiring a bicycle so you only need public transport to the general area you want to visit (East, West or centre) as this will greatly improve your mobility. I would check if you are allowed to bring a bike into the bus though.... Maybe a folding bicycle?

Best of luck with your trip. Had a wonderful time in Normandy, I went with a tour group from the US, there were only 15 of us and it was a great experience. We were able to go from Caen all the way to Omaha Beach and we saw many of the museums. Time of course limits what you can see, I took over 2000 pictures at the sites and was still able to enjoy the trip so my eyes weren't always behind the camera. If it is possible, perhaps you could always go back in the future and try to cover half of your trip this time and then next time cover the other half. It was overwhelming trying to see everything in such a short amount of time, but we did and I have no regrets. Best thing about the trip was spending the time with my Dad...Regardless of what you decide, you will have an incredible time.

As others mentioned I did not seem to recall seeing a lot of public transportation, but I did see a lot of tour busses. I don't even recall seeing Taxi's, but as other mentioned, they may be very pricey...

Smitty

Perhaps you can go by train to Carentan and after it's easier to have Utah, Ste Mère... I ask to a friend living in Ste Marie
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thank you guys!!! Trip is on the 10th of this month! I hope everything works fine as I'll cry if I visit the place and won't be able to see most of the sites! When I come back I'll make a thread here for you to see!!

This moorning my friend says the best is renting a bike in Carentan to see the places outside.

kc1
    ?

Good luck with trying to get across the Caen ring road on a pedal cycle, a cars bad enough.
    The bus time table,at Mortain last month, seems to depend on varying factors such as term time, day of the week, local market etc so i wouldnt really place to much reliance on them. You really need something with an engine. Try the Caen tourist information office online before you travel and see what they suggest.

One year, in the 80's stayed in a restauroute for drivers trucks, cheap

Hope you have great time...and we wait for photos!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2