Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Now & Then.. Ardennes Iconic Image Journey..

Article about: Many thanks for your time and effort Luckystrike , this is an awesome thread many injoyable times , cheers Raymond

Jonesy
    ?

Default Re: Now & Then.. Ardennes Iconic Image Journey..

This is a fantastic thread, will you be posting more of the same stuff Wolfspear?
    I really hope so!

Quote by Jonesy View Post
    This is a fantastic thread, will you be posting more of the same stuff Wolfspear?
    I really hope so!
    Jonesy

I only dream of this type of stuff!

My holidays are with family at a sunshine resort somewhere!

What about you?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Wolfspear and Jonesy thanks for your posts, I still have a little left as I said at the start of this thread it hadn't been my intention but I pretty much followed the Northern advance as far as it got.
    Stewfoxy I often wonder what happened to the people pictured when I take the Now and Then comparisons. But for once I can actually tell you a little about some of the identified troops in the pictures.
    In my first set of pictures posted tonight, the numbered ones pictures 2 and 3 show the same Soldier carrying the stg 44. His name was SS Rottenfuhrer Josef Priess Stabskompanie SS Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung 1. Sadly he was killed just two weeks later (4th Jan 1945) fighting just East of Bastogne.
    Picture 6 the Officer is SS Unterscharfuhrer Wilhelm Gilbert Commander of 1 Zug of 2 Kompanie SS Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung 1. He survived the war and I think was taken prisoner in Austria where he was held for 1 year, he died in 1984.
    In my second post of pics tonight the two Officers walking back toward camera (wearing great coats), one is SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Emil Wawrzinek and the other his orderly he was attached to the 1 SS Panzer Div Staff. In March 1945 he took command of SS Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung 1 but was killed in Austria in April nr Steinbruckl.
    Finally the orderly looks very similar (same uniform and features) to one of the three officers sheltering under the M8 in some of the pictures taken at Poteau (I didn't post that one). If he is then he was SS Untersturmfuhrer Siegfried Stiewe adjutant to SS Sturmbannfuhrer Gustav Knittel. Sadly he was killed in Hungary near Komaron on 27th March 1945.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Jonesy
    ?

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Jonesy

I only dream of this type of stuff!

My holidays are with family at a sunshine resort somewhere!

What about you?

Nick
    OOPS! Sorry Nick I meant that post for LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm the same I'm afraid, somewhere sunny resort on the Costa Del Sol. Though on our last trip to Gibralter, I did notice what looked like pill boxes along the coast road.
    The Missus is comimg round to the idea of a trip to Berlin in the near futre though!

What part of Yorkshire are you in? I'm in Fleetwood near Blackpool.

Mark

Quote by Jonesy View Post
    OOPS! Sorry Nick I meant that post for LUCKYSTRIKE

I'm the same I'm afraid, somewhere sunny resort on the Costa Del Sol. Though on our last trip to Gibralter, I did notice what looked like pill boxes along the coast road.
    The Missus is comimg round to the idea of a trip to Berlin in the near futre though!

What part of Yorkshire are you in? I'm in Fleetwood near Blackpool.

Mark
    Hi Mark

I am near Leeds. I have tried to get my wife to go to Normandy with me but she wont have any of it

I would love to do something like Luckystrike has done with a bunch of like minded mates !

I did Berlin in early 80s you will love it!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Luckystrike

A true mark of quality to this thread is that "Mrs Wolfspear" who has zero intrest in WW2 enjoyed your pictures

Maybe I will get her to the D Day beaches after all !

Nick

Thanks Wolfspear... I do hope you manage to get away on a visit one day. From your Wifes point of view Normandy actually has loads more to offer other than just WW2 history. (examples include) The long sandy beaches with shallow clean water they're superb, there's much earlier history and quaint buildings, laid back relaxed life style, lots of local produce and I can recommend the home made ciders that every farm seems to sell. Then of course there's plenty of good shopping in Caen and Bayeux amongst others.
    Just suggestions....

You know if ever you fancy a trip to the Ardennes or Normandy you're welcome to come with me and that goes for Jonesy too. I live in Hampshire and we all the same age group.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Thanks Wolfspear... I do hope you manage to get away on a visit one day. From your Wifes point of view Normandy actually has loads more to offer other than just WW2 history. (examples include) The long sandy beaches with shallow clean water they're superb, there's much earlier history and quaint buildings, laid back relaxed life style, lots of local produce and I can recommend the home made ciders that every farm seems to sell. Then of course there's plenty of good shopping in Caen and Bayeux amongst others.
    Just suggestions....

You know if ever you fancy a trip to the Ardennes or Normandy you're welcome to come with me and that goes for Jonesy too. I live in Hampshire and we all the same age group.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Thanks Luckystrike

I will one day take you up on that offer!

Your thread has "unsettled" me! The Ardennes is definately on the radar!

Nick

Lucystrike - are you familiar with the book 'Nuts! The Battle of the Bulge the Story and Photographs'? It has a very detailed analysis of the Poteau-Recht sequence and I'd be happy to post some of the info and extra pictures but didn't want to spoil anything you had planned.

One interesting point is that there were two war correspondents on that particular stretch of road - one shooting 35mm stills and the other with a movie camera. I seem to remember there's a movie sequence from this incident in the classic World at War television series and, if I remember rightly, I think some of these famous stills must have been printed from the 16mm movie negatives as I was surprised to see the pictures I knew come to life while watching the dvds.

Hi Stewfoxy, I don't know the 'Nuts' book so it would be great if you could post some of the info. I was aware that a film cameraman and a stills photographer were working together, in fact both captured each other at work. A still of the cameraman and film footage of the photographer were found in the Poteau sequence.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast