Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Now & Then.. Ardennes Iconic Image Journey..

Article about: Many thanks for your time and effort Luckystrike , this is an awesome thread many injoyable times , cheers Raymond

Default Re: Now & Then.. Ardennes Iconic Image Journey..

Hi rudeerude, Your latest two pictures are amazing in fact the first one I actually find a little spooky, I how I imagine a ghostly scene would appear?. Great work thanks for your your time in doing these.
    Thanks guys for your encouragement I'm pleased you enjoyed them, I'd highly recommend a visit if you ever get the chance. Not only are the locals very friendly and the scenery outstanding, you'll also notice how concentrated the actions of WW2 are in the area, something seems to have happened around every corner (with a little research).
    When I return I will continue with more then and now pictures, hopefully next year.
    All the best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Wow!!!!

?

Hello Luckystrike!

Thats a great thread!!! I'm new in the forum but i know how much work is necessary to make such pictures.
    I'm often in the Ardennes or Normandie with my little beetle, bus or kübelwagen.
    Here I have some pictures for you, not all then and now but enjoy:

The Panther of 116. in Houffalize

Hotel d'Ardennes

typical unchanged houses in the Ardennes

the new painted sherman of Bastogne market-place

sundown over Mardasson-Hill/Bastogne

The badly damaged sherman of Wibrin

The german cemetary of Recogne

Foxholes of the 101. in the forest of Foy

The memorial for some members of BoB

View over La Roche en Ardenne

The Panthers of GrandMenil laying dead in a mine-field

One of them, not even damaged so bad

The Celles-Panther, the most westwards Panther, only 5 Km away from the bridges over the Meuse in Dinant.

He ran on a mine and the Panther-Kampfgruppe stopped here and went back

The entrance to Dinant between the famous Rocks.

This was the point were a jeep with Skorzenys Soldiers was stopped. The Men in the Jeep were the far west german soldiers of the Ardennes-Battle

Baugnez-Crossroad

The field where the soldiers were shot

called later the Malmedy-Massacre

Diorama of the sad event

The Memorial

Beetle at the crossroads

The ambush at Poteau

The old Zoll-House in 1945 now the Museum

on the famous road

the´old wooden cow-house under the trees

and last but not least Hotel Normandie

Perhaps on your next journey we meet in the Ardennes, so look for a bus/beetle or a Kübel i own too.

If you want to see any pictures of Normandie this year please let me know.

Greetings

WeyAx , thanks for the pictures they are awesome realy injoyed the tour , cheers Raymond

Ditto! And I like that VW !

Hi WeyAx,
    WOW is all I can say, what a wonderful set of pictures it seems we've visited quite a few of the same places, although there are a few in your pics I haven't seen as of yet. It's good to see the snow on the ground in some of them much more appropriate I think. I usually take a tent and camp so I've never been brave enough to try with the snow on the ground.
    Yes it would be great to meet up in the future, either in Normandy or the Ardennes. I'm sure I'll be visiting again sometime next year (2010) but haven't yet planned the dates, but when I do I'll send you a pm and we can try to arrange something.
    Thats a nice beetle you've got there it certainly looks the part. Have you ever taken your Kubel on a visit to the battlefields? I'd love to see a picture.
    Yes I'd like to see your Normandy pictures and I'm sure many others on here would as well, I'd say it'd be worth you starting a new thread to show them.
    Greetings from a cold and very wet England.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

WeyAx more fantastic then and now photos this si an excellent thread for anyone who wants to visit the Ardennes , thanks guys
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thank you Luckystrike and the others for your interests in my pictures.

Yes in Winter it is very cold in the ardennes, often thick fog and snow, but this makes it more authentic.
    We can feel the cold the soldiers suffered and the woods are very calm than, and more myterious.

I normally sleep in tent too, but in winter its too cold, only the bus makes it a little comfort.

My Kübels sadly are Bundeswehrkübel, one a little bit converted, the other original new german-Army:

but you can have fun too

preparing one of the dangerous rides into the dark forests.

with some friends in the woods

my original Bundeswehr-Kübel

with this car i want to go to Bastogen 12/13.Dec. because german
    vintage cars are still not allowed to the 65. year
    ceremonies

I will than make an extra-Thread over the event in Bastogne and another with pictures in Normandie too.

Greetings

Alex

?

Hello Luckystrike!

I forgot to say, that I would be happy over a PN the next time you will visit the Ardennes.
    I like to know people from other countries who have the same interests as me.
    For us in Germany there it is still a big problem to show our interests in that specific time.
    Very quickly you are strafed as nazi, no matter if you are only an historic or an reenactor.

Alex

Hi Alex
    Your pictures have made me very jealous, it must be a great experience to travel in convoy along the Ardennes forest tracks tracing the routes of the Rollebahns. Lovely to see the original vehicles too.
    Your Bundeswehrkübel looks a great vehicle for the cross country, I like them a true classic military vehicle with good off road handling, and a close relative of the original Kubel.
    My interest is also German WW2 and yet even here in the UK there are plenty of people who think this a little strange and tend to assume because of the interest you're a Nazi. A little narrow minded I think!, the politics of the time have nothing to do with my interest so I can understand the problems you could face at home.
    I'll definately send you a PM it'd be great to meet up when I have next years trip planned out.
    Best Wishes
    Adrian Aka LUCKYSTRIKE

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast