Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Oradour-sur-Glane

Article about: I've visited Oradour twice and it is a really very moving place, walking through its quiet streets with the tram track still in place always gets to me, seeing the Doctors car in the square

Default Re: Oradour-sur-Glane

Well, really sad story but in Eastern front there are hundreds of similar villages in the Ukraine, Belorussia and Russia burnt down by Germans. And there are hundreds of burnt down towns and villages in East Prussia, Poland etc. and it was done by Soviets in 1944/45. So western europeans just have to be lucky they have just one Oradour-sur-Glane to remember. For example in Estonia Soviets killed thousands of innocent people in 1941 but no one really cares. It was just a war and killing is a part of any war.

Hello Frundsberg
    my neighbor has service unit at the Frundsberg !

Quote by sSterbebild View Post
    google :
    Occupation troops, on 10 June in search of one of the Resistance kidnapped officer and senior management of the resistance fighters who were on their reports on the outskirts of Oradour-sur-Glane, the bodies one on the eve of the maquisards invaded Wounded transport and in the houses of the village hidden weapons and ammunition. Then they shot most of the men apprehended as partisans and burned down the houses.

All involved were later released ?
    here a link you will found more interresting than your source:
    Oradour-sur-Glane 10 June 1944
    It regroups the hours by hours report, the witnesses, the trial, biography etc ...

Google + :translate:: In the process, which takes place in 1953 in Bordeaux, most of which defendants are almost with impunity, after the events in the sense confirmed the indictment and had to commit themselves, never about the goings-on 10 Talk to June 1944. The case files are for 100 (!) Years kept under lock and key, an unprecedented process. General de Gaulle in 1944 allows the investigation files sealed by law for the case Oradour...

((it was war and we should ensure
    that no one goes
    this is me))

Ive been there its an amazing place, Can anybody tell me if there is a battle ruined street preserved in Caen as I'm sure I drove near it once when lost and a couple of years later I was riding all over Caen on my mountain bike and couldnt find it and I'm sure I didnt dream it ?

?

Quote by Panzer391 View Post
    Ive been there its an amazing place, Can anybody tell me if there is a battle ruined street preserved in Caen as I'm sure I drove near it once when lost and a couple of years later I was riding all over Caen on my mountain bike and couldnt find it and I'm sure I didnt dream it ?
    Never heard of that before !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I hope I havent dreamed it lol because I asked a few people whilst riding around Caen with no luck and I'm sure I saw it whilst lost once and intended finding it on that trip but went to other places instead.

?

An interesting thread concerning a place haunted by events long ago. Does anybody have any more images of this site?

Regards,

Carl

RIP People of Oradour-sur-Glane....... Lest we forget, one of the many terrible atrocities committed by "Das Reich" on its march North to Normandy...remember to, the people of Tulle.....
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by Panzer391 View Post
    There is no place like that in Caen.
    chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast