Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Article about: by Larry C Amazing stuff Ade!! ... How many enigma machines were there? Regards Larry Hi Larry, I only saw the one there if I remember correctly. Bletchley Park has several on display there.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

I will now add a few views around the famous courtyard.

It is not that big, around 65 paces at most from one side to another.

They have more cardboard cutouts here. You will no doubt recognise them?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

A most excellent tour Mr Stevenson- thankyou!
    Don't loiter mind, or next time you visit there may be a cardboard cut-out of YOU!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The Polish POW's Quarters entrance. A plaque commemorates them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I should add a bit about the different options regarding tickets.

There is a basic admission charge to just get into the castle. But there are also two guided tours. We took the 8.50 Euro option, as the longer tour 15 Euro was not running that day.

Our guide spoke good English and was friendly.

This is the entrance to the chapel. The protective arch seems to be a modern addition.

The chapel is only accessable if you take a guided tour. There is currently restoration work taking place.

In the Renaissance Chapel, wooden galleries were installed in the early 19th century, after the Castle had been converted into a hospital.

The WW1 War memorial was nice I thought.

The chapel was the scene of the famous French escape attempt of 1941/1942. All these tins of food and improvised tools, lamps, etc were discovered in the tunnel.

Very nice, Adrian, thank you. The lands along the Elbe are very pleasing.

The French prisoners tunneled their way into the chapel and discovered that the original flagstone floor had a false wooden floor laid upon it.

I looked at the beams and wondered just how hard it would have been to cut through these with just improvised tools? I then started to think about how little room there was to crawl throght this space?

I was then rather naughty. Without asking our guide, I jumped down a had a go at crawling through. Lez said his face was a picture! He did not know what to say. But he smiled.

Looks like a great trip Ade: Wish I could go someday. Thanks for sharing these with us.

?

Ade looks like you had a great trip . A trip to Germany is on my bucket list . Gary

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast