Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Article about: by Larry C Amazing stuff Ade!! ... How many enigma machines were there? Regards Larry Hi Larry, I only saw the one there if I remember correctly. Bletchley Park has several on display there.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Thanks for the comments guys. We plan on going back again.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

thank you ade,

The tunnel from under the floor then dropped down, coming out into a wine celller. From there another tunnel was started to get outside the castle walls. Sadly they got caught with just a few meters to go.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Some more shots, this time of the quarters used by members of the "Prominente".

The artwork on the wall of the Pheasants was done by Major William Faithfull Anderson, Royal Engineers. There was also an exhibition of his other works on display, but I was unsure if pics were allowed.

Other pics show various items discovered in recent years during renovations and digs.

The shaft was discovered by the POW's inside a hollow wall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Great photos Ade of your trip to Germany,, Just looking at the photos I can actually imagine seeing German soldiers and officers around those great buildings. The night photos gave me a chill of the same visions. I dont like digging trenches here in the US but I would not mind it as much digging there in Germany....you never know what you will unearth! Thanks for showing these Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank Larry.

I said to Tim anything I find in the trench is mine. Tim has found wartime US ration tins and a pair of M44 goggles in the farm buildings. The US 6th Armoured liberated the town, but they later moved back to allow Soviet Forces to take up previously agreed lines.

Funny story re the farm: a lady who lived there as a young girl recently visited Tim & Bee and brought with her family pics from the 1930's. She said her Dad applied for planning permission to alter the stable block. Bee went to the local town hall, where they still have the plans he submitted. The rather red faced officials appologised for the eagle and swastika stamps and the Heil Hitler on the document! Tim wonders if the permission is still valid Adolf said it was OK...

Ade..great thread, super photographs, you obviously had a great time.....beware the fatherland is intoxicating and will draw you back time and time again......a wonderful country, with wonderful people ! I miss not visiting, as I did many times in the 1980's.....on my BMV !
    Prost ! Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks, I can understand the draw of the place. Lez and I love it there.

I know you are patiently waiting for the Bundeswehr Museum pics.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade looks like you had a great trip Good pictures too!

Best!

Yet more on "Oflag IV c"

This is looking up from the terrace to the roof where the glider would have taken off from and the meadow across the river Mulde where the replica glider landed recently in the TV documentary.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast