Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Article about: by Larry C Amazing stuff Ade!! ... How many enigma machines were there? Regards Larry Hi Larry, I only saw the one there if I remember correctly. Bletchley Park has several on display there.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Thanks for the photographic tour Ade. I'd love to visit Germany some day.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

We now head into the museum where the exhibits are just outstanding.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The work documents are complete fakes made by hand by the POW's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The looming walls and stark interior comes over great in the pics.

Gives a good impression of how constricting the castle is.

But human ingenuity really know no bounds; stick a bunch of the most hardcore escape kings in a fortified castle with strong walls and many gates with the expectation, that this will mean the end to all escape attempts.
    Only to find that the exact opposite is the case.

A place I will visit one day!! Many thanks for your posts Ade, the Colditz museum looks amazing

These are great photos Ade! It just makes me want to get over there as soon as I can, it is definitely something I want to aim at doing.

Next time you have a birthday head over to my place, I have plenty of crap you can do around here!

Cheers for the pics, they are fantastic mate!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks Scout.

The farm is a big work in progress: as Bee & Tim were going to have new heating fitted, this meant a trench needed to be dug from the farm house to one of the barns. So yours truly got stuck in and lifted the granite stone blocks and dug this trench. (Why do I always end up digging? I do enough at work and re-enactment events LOL!) But I was rewarded with cold beer! Tim made me wear his BD blouse. By sundown the pipes and electrical cable was half in place.
    Ade digging like that mate you are definately welcome to join us in the trenches of the Narva Front !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Here we have the items which drew me back to the same cabinet again and again.

The cloth used was most likely from Dutch uniforms.

Bear in mind while some items are fairly crude, like the cardboard rifle, some of this was only designed to pass muster at night.

?

Amazing what they did with the use of the most simple items.

I stand by my statement above about human ingenuity

More from Colditz. I just could not get enough of the place...

The sewing machine was made by Lieut J.R.E. Hamilton Baillie R.E. The Guards allowed it's use to make costumes for the camp theatre productions. But it got used for other "productions".

BTW the odd metal tubes seen at the bottom left of the pics is a still for making booze!

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast