Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Article about: by Larry C Amazing stuff Ade!! ... How many enigma machines were there? Regards Larry Hi Larry, I only saw the one there if I remember correctly. Bletchley Park has several on display there.

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

The canvas sheet had fake grass added to it and was used in an unsucessful escape attempt from the exercise meadow.

The radio room was only discovered in recent years behind a false panel in the attic. This is a reconstruction.

The mouse trap was used as an electrical switch and was used to shut down the lights in the French tunnel (seen earlier in the chapel) if a Guard approached.

The period photo shows a Polish escape attempt: the pic of the window I took shows the same window today. It is dammed high up! I would never even dream of trying to descend from that on a rope made from tied up bedsheets.

The scales were used by the Germans to weigh the Red Cross parcels sent into the camp and check for contraband.

The cartoon map was made by the POW's to show the progress of the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.

Nothing was sacred to those guys. Leave something out of sight for split second and for sure it would be nicked and used for E&E

You are certainly right about that

Here are the last few pics from the museum. I rather liked the box which belonged to "Franz Joseph"

Much of these items survived due to the Germans setting up a "black museum" in order to train new Guards.

For more info about Colditz please see here:

http://www.colditz-4c.com/

Well guys, it is getting late here and I think our server needs to cool down before I blow it up with all these pic uploads So I will sign off now and say Goodnight. Tomorrow I am off to a show.

When we next proceed it will be to Dresden and the Bundeswehr Museum. I only took 244 pics there

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.   Our recent trip to Germany: Colditz, Torgau, Dresden Bundeswehr museum, etc.  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This is a fantastic thread, Ade! Thanks for taking the time to post all of these photos.

Germany is a fantastic place. I'm not sure exactly why the Nazis were so concerned with 'lebensraum'- they had a quite lovely space of their own.

Great trip and photos, wouldnt it be cool if we could plan a trip like this with forum members only? I would definatly do it if the airfare, food and lodging was free! lol

Some of those caps and eagles look better than the fakes that turn up today!!!!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Great thread Ade! I love visiting Germany even if my command of the language permits me only to order a beer and wurst and get lost slightly less than average whilst driving!

?

Excellent visit , photos and descriptions Ade, been thinking about a visit for quite a while now but we might be going back to Normandy and going further inland this time, but we'll see, a trip to good old Colditz Schloss has got to be on the cards

?

Excellent photo's Ade .......
    A place I would like to visit sometime ...

Did "Major Phipps" slip through your mind whilst there ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4MgXKzbng

Cheers

Gary J.

Hi

Thank you for posting these incredible pictures Ade!

Cameron

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast