Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

PQ17: An Arctic Convoy

Article about: I watched it, and yes, it was a real mess based on bad decisions, but what I did'nt understand was how a senior officer with a proven brain tumour, was allowed to make such important decisio

Another disgrace was the fact that the British government failed to recognise and appreciate what the merchant navy did for this country. Fortunantly Russia did and still does show her appreciation.

I watched the program and I do like the way Clarkson presented it. He shows a genuine interest around the subject. I know he is not everyones cup of tea but he is able to portray well the difficulties in trying to understand what these men went through. And it was a massive balls up by another donkey in charge of British forces.

I must be honest and say that i've got more than a little tired of Clarkson and his manner whilst presenting Top Gear the last few series, it seems more and more contrived each time, and he becomes a more grotesque caricature with it.

However, he's a different chap altogether when he presents these factual accounts of the war. His first outing regarding his father in law winning the VC at Arnhem was excellent, as was his presentation of "The Greatest Raid Of All" about the St. Nazaire operation and he did a great job of promoting the engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel in "Greatest Britons". He knocks Dan Snow into a cocked hat in my opinion, and on his day is hard to beat in this type of programming. Here's an example of how he presents these programmes, using that "Proud to be British" sort of way that he engenders quite well.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Ditto.
    A bit tired of Top Gear (though mostly tired of the Hamster).
    But that was a most excellent presentation. C did well.
    I just watched the St. Nazaire segment and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I will be sailing up to Murmansk later this year and it certainly gave me something to think about...

?

All the Men on my Fathers side of the family, from Nova Scotia, were Merchant Navy, in both World Wars.
    My Grandfather made the Murmansk run at least once. He served on Imperial Oil Tankers.
    He never talked about it, nor applied for his Medals.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3