Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remains of a British soldier

Article about: by lithgow I believe the picture is posed-a body takes some time to be in that state-all the equipment is arranged around the remains and shows no evidence of being overgrown or subject to e

?

Default Re: Remains of a British soldier

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I believe the picture is posed-a body takes some time to be in that state-all the equipment is arranged around the remains and shows no evidence of being overgrown or subject to exposure-the rifle would not have been left with the remains if other men were in a position to recover it at the time. Such composition for photos was common during WW1 (and before) as camera equipment was bulky and difficult to move and use around an active battlefield.
    I agree. The decomposition and maggots will leave a large amount of residue of which there is none showing beneath the skull.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I believe the picture is posed-a body takes some time to be in that state-all the equipment is arranged around the remains and shows no evidence of being overgrown or subject to exposure-the rifle would not have been left with the remains if other men were in a position to recover it at the time. Such composition for photos was common during WW1 (and before) as camera equipment was bulky and difficult to move and use around an active battlefield.
    I have to agree, in fact it was probably taken a few years after ww1, relic hunters even in those days perhaps unfortunately

?

Looks posed, the condition of everything is too good. Helmet looks a bit too shiny.

Thanks for sharing

Agree that it looks to have been posed. I cannot see any sign of a skeleton other than the Skull which looks to have been placed on top a uniform and had various items of equipment placed around it.

I disagree that WWI was a waste as the Ideology of the Germans at that time was little if any better than that during WWII and they needed stopping then as much as they did 25 years later. They were already engaged in acts of genocide and had wiped out native tribesmen in one of their African colonies prior to the start of WWI. Herero and Namaqua Genocide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Less than kind hearted treatment of the locals was a feature of all of the colonial empires, either by zealous settlers or inept administration or straight out government policy-for sheer unadulterated savagery you can't go past Belgium and their actions in the Congo in the 19th century-for that matter most of Europe was ruled by authoritarian regimes in 1914 and even the 2 largest democracies (Great Britain and France) were hard core empires as well.

?

Good point.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
    I wonder, if the soldier thought that old roman adage to hold true during his last moments.

?

Less than kind hearted treatment of the locals was a feature of all of the colonial empires, either by zealous settlers or inept administration or straight out government policy-for sheer unadulterated savagery you can't go past Belgium and their actions in the Congo in the 19th century-for that matter most of Europe was ruled by authoritarian regimes in 1914 and even the 2 largest democracies (Great Britain and France) were hard core empires as well.
    Agreed. Best not to dig into which empires did what in 'their' colonies. Nobody who ever had colonies is clean in that respect. Not the point of this thread either.

I whole heartedly agree, Where is his bottom jaw? not to mention his arms! Poigniant as it may be and a reminder of the ridiculous loss of life in War i think it is a staged setting.

Regards Phill.

I also belive it is a posed photo. I have seen similar photo with German machinegun crew. Some time ago a lady was murdered in Estonia. It happened in spring and murderer was arested in autumn. And police found only some bones and pieces of cloth after 5-6 months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast