MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Roye/Amy WWII airfield--ex-German, then US 391st Bomb Group--need help finding it

Article about: I'm hoping for help locating the ex-German WWII airfield in Roye/Amy, France, about 42 kms SE of Amiens. It was later a US Army Air Corps field where my Dad's 391st Bomb Group [9th Air Force

genealogy
    ?

Default Roye/Amy WWII airfield--ex-German, then US 391st Bomb Group--need help finding it

I'm hoping for help locating the ex-German WWII airfield in Roye/Amy, France, about 42 kms SE of Amiens. It was later a US Army Air Corps field where my Dad's 391st Bomb Group [9th Air Force] was based after deploying from Matching, UK. Dad & I are coming to the UK this spring for the 65th anniversary in Devon of Exercise TIGER, in which Dad's brother was killed, and I hope to take Dad for a sidetrip to Roye to see his old base, if still visible and not yet a McDonalds parking lot. Dad has told me he was billeted in "the Mayor's house" in Roye, so it would be cool if I could also show him that structure, if it is still standing. Dad was ground crew/maintenance, not a flyboy.

Does anyone have specific knowledge of Roye, the airfield, or any WWII veterans' groups in that vicinity who could point us to these sites or who might even be willing to show them to Dad. We'll have only a day or so of our vacation for this side trip, so linking up with a knowledgeable local person might eliminate wasted time looking for these sites, especially since we don't speak French. [I know a little from High School.] Histories of the 391st BG [and Dad himself] always refer to the airbase as "Roye/Amy," if that helps, but I think the town of "Amy" is even smaller.

There is a French-American military museum near Roye, but it is devoted to World War One, according to its website. The website for the town of Roye does not mention any links to local WWII events or sites, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help.

?

Default Re: Roye/Amy WWII airfield--ex-German, then US 391st Bomb Group--need help finding it

Hello

look here

Les anciens-aerodromes

regards

ivandps
    ?

Default Re: Roye/Amy WWII airfield--ex-German, then US 391st Bomb Group--need help finding it

Hello

i know exactly the place for i lived there in my childhood. I now live in Paris. If you come to France, I will be glad to take you for a tour upthere. Here is agooglemap link of the airfield. There is not much left of it. You may also want to see this French topo map of Amy and its airstrip.

regards

Hello, you can also visit one airbase at POIX-DE-PICARDIE