Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seelow heights 2010

Article about: Great pictures. Many thanks for sharing. I've gotta go there as well someday. Steve T

Default Seelow heights 2010

This is my first attempt at downloading images to this forum. These are of my trip in May 2010 to Seelow.

Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010Seelow heights 2010
    Last edited by robin morley; 10-25-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Default Re: Seelow heights 2010

Ok so seem to have double posted the photos sorry about that must try harder

Regards

Robin

?

Nice shots thanks for posting
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul,

Just for info the photo of the trees and fields beyond is taken from near the monument looking towards the Oder.

No relic hunting?

Well managed an hour around the edges of the ploughed field you can see in the pretty country photo whilst the German section of the party popped into Seelow for a coffee muttering something about crazy Englander. Anyway only found some shrapnel including a very nice threaded shell nose cone which I kept some bone shards which I left and also two quite complete stick grenades which I marked, left and notified the police of. The shell nose cone has cleaned up nicely and I am planning on mounting it on a wooden plinth with location found on it. Should look good next to my Ost front collection.

?

Robin very nice photos and finds. I think I would have left the bones also. Gary

Great photos Robin, wish I could have been there with you! I guess this was in East Germany following the war, hence the large Russian memorial. No doubt since the Russian's suffered horrific losses taking this position. Thanks for posting.

Jay

Great thread, that's one of my "musts" before I croak.

Am I right in thinking that entry to the actual Heights is strictly verboten, because of the amount of ordnance still around?
    I'm sure I read that one once?

Didnt seem to be any restrictions at all regarding access. No fences, signs etc. I understand the whole area is viewed as a war grave by the authorities so no digging. But I was walking around within 50 m of the main road and was passed twice by the police without them giving me a second look.

In answer to another post all the graves surrounding the memorial are of Russians. Didnt see any German graves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast